Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: undermining  (Read 1161 times)

grelphy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
undermining
« on: November 29, 2007, 07:52:00 pm »

So I just recently got into DF, figured out (more or less) what I'm doing, and had the brilliant idea to undermine a goblin fortress.

No, really.

So I set off with seven skilled miners, a ton of food, and nothing whatsoever to make long-term survival possible. All I intend to do is use a cavein to turn the fortress (and a lot of subbasement) into ten million rocks at the bottom of a big hole. If it works, hooray; maybe I can turn my seven miners into a viable society. Otherwise, abandon and restart, or just abandon and laugh at all the dead goblins.

So I'd like to know--has anyone tried this? Is it feasible? I did a bit of experimenting with undermining in a human town (free wood, muhahaha), and I'm not sure how I'm going to channel from the surface without getting attacked, but the rest seems fairly straightforward.

Given the general shape of coins and what most people seem to find the minted variety useful for: "Rounds".

Arkan15

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: undermining
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2007, 08:06:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by grelphy:
<STRONG>So I just recently got into DF, figured out (more or less) what I'm doing, and had the brilliant idea to undermine a goblin fortress.

No, really.

So I set off with seven skilled miners, a ton of food, and nothing whatsoever to make long-term survival possible. All I intend to do is use a cavein to turn the fortress (and a lot of subbasement) into ten million rocks at the bottom of a big hole. If it works, hooray; maybe I can turn my seven miners into a viable society. Otherwise, abandon and restart, or just abandon and laugh at all the dead goblins.

So I'd like to know--has anyone tried this? Is it feasible? I did a bit of experimenting with undermining in a human town (free wood, muhahaha), and I'm not sure how I'm going to channel from the surface without getting attacked, but the rest seems fairly straightforward.</STRONG>

Dig upward ramps.

IP AND TEAR YOUR GUTS!
YOU ARE HUGE! THAT MEANS YOU HAVE HUGE GUTS!

grelphy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2007, 09:03:00 pm »

Update: dwarves suck at channeling in teams (as though they didn't otherwise) and so I now have one dwarf with a broken leg due to dropping himself two stories... =( I'm switching to a new strategy with two-wide gaps down the side of the fort. We'll see how it goes. With any luck the idiot dwarf gangs should stop stranding each other on a tiny platform of rock...

quote:
Dig upward ramps.

I'm not entirely sure how that would help. Right now I've got several staircases running up the entire structure, which work fine for mobility. Do ramps just not support stuff next to them?

More experimentation is neccesary...

Given the general shape of coins and what most people seem to find the minted variety useful for: "Rounds".

Khosan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2007, 09:15:00 pm »

Building upward Ramps is actually safer than building channels.  Since your dwarves won't be complete morons when digging them, and you can't really fall down them.

Just mark the area under what you want channeled with upward ramps and your dwarves will do the dirty work without screwing it up.

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2007, 09:43:00 pm »

Yeah it's been done. I think there might even be videos.

Oh wait, the video I remember was a human town: http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-192-babycarnage

[ November 29, 2007: Message edited by: Red Jackard ]

My dwarves are not your dwarves.

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2007, 10:00:00 pm »

Here we go: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2677834&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=13#post335701663

quote:
Ladies and gentlemen, may I have your attention please. This is not a drill. The cave-in code is hilarious.

That's right. In the year 1059, an entire goblin civilization disappeared.
http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-1360-bannercudgels

The dwarves had set out with a purpose, with a cause. To protect the mountainhomes, to strike back at those who would dare oppose Armok. Picks became weapons, survival second to a mission of vengeance. After years upon years of sacrifice and tragedy, of law upheld by a blind sheriff, of a dozen succesful inspired moods and just as many failures...the dwarves won.

That's right. All of the goblin towers, destroyed. Nothing left but ruins. And here is the video proof. Apologies for the quality, but my poor 3.4ghz processor core was trying to render divine beauty across ten z-axis levels.
http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-132-theendofaneraofterror

The final mechanic, Litast, whose efforts towards the project were second only to that of the late miners and the recently-deceased expedition leader, bravely sacrificed his life removing the goblins' final tether to the mortal world.

Here's the beautiful, beautiful aftermath. You can tell the code's still quirky, but it works. Oh, man, does it work. Dropped the whole civilization two levels. Found one survivor, but if you watch the video, well...you know how that goes.
http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-1362-bannercudgels

I feel as though I've been a part of something incredibly epic. And my 12 or so remaining dwarves, three of them kids, half of them bedridden, should feel the same. Good work guys. I...I think I've got something in my eye.

Edit:
CARNAGE. Don't. Mess. With Dwarves.

[ November 29, 2007: Message edited by: Red Jackard ]

My dwarves are not your dwarves.

grelphy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2007, 10:57:00 pm »

That. Is. Awesome.

I'm just doing it one tower at a time--less safe and harder than cave-in-ing the entire map, but it won't take me the rest of my life. =P