Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: webadict's Games/Roles/Rules - Discussions and Commentary Thread  (Read 1807 times)

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
webadict's Games/Roles/Rules - Discussions and Commentary Thread
« on: February 19, 2021, 09:28:52 pm »

I sort of needed a place to discuss and comment on several game archetypes I've created. My goal is to place design thoughts on games I've made previously, as well as create a repository for roles and gametypes that might be useful to fledgling game moderators. However, please note that this thread can be a place to ask for thoughts and feelings beyond my own games.

As such, this post will contain a link to the corresponding game types:
Bring Your Own Role Mafia
Don't Outguess The Mod Mafia
Dwarf Fortress Mafia
One Night Ultimate Webwolf
Third Party Mafia
Vote Mafia

For BYOR discussion, singular games or roles may be linked, along with action ideas and their design philosophies, and if you encountered an idea you liked or disliked in a BYOR game, feel free to discuss it here!
« Last Edit: February 19, 2021, 10:06:04 pm by webadict »

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: webadict's Games/Roles/Rules - Discussions and Commentary Thread
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2021, 09:32:06 pm »

Game Type:
Vote Mafia

Description:
Vote Mafia is a game with roles built around the aspect of voting or with a Day game focus.

Design Philosophy:
This game type has a low power curve, since actions themselves revolve around the elimination aspects. The idea is to give valuable Day game experience to players that might otherwise be focusing entirely on the Night game.

Rules:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Current Role List:

Changelog:
« Last Edit: February 20, 2021, 10:55:25 am by webadict »

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2021, 09:38:28 pm »

Game Type:
One Night Ultimate Webwolf (ONUW)

Description:
A soon-to-be-customized version of One Night Ultimate Werewolf. One Night, One Day. Eliminate a Werewolf and the Villagers win, otherwise the Werewolves win.

Design Philosophy:
The idea behind this game type is quick and incredibly silly games. These games are typically unbalanced in favor of one side, but quick-thinking can turn a surefire win into a major loss.

Roles:

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2021, 09:43:18 pm »

Game Type:
Bring Your Own Role Mafia (BYOR)

Description:
You bring any possible idea and the moderator turns it into a playable role for you. Typically, these games are high-powered and wacky antics ensue.

Design Philosophy:
At first, these games started out a very low-powered, but as this series has iterated forward, roles have become absurdly power-heavy. Giving players access to game-breaking abilities can lead to fun scenarios where you have to attempt to outguess which role was specifically tailored to ruin your life.

This post will eventually contain links that may help in understanding the concept or pointing out some of my favorite roles or games to design.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2021, 09:51:53 pm »

Game Type:
Dwarf Fortress Mafia

Description:
An open setup game based on the forum's chief export. Dwarf Fortress Mafia puts a group of Dwarves against Elven agents that have infiltrated the fort.

Design Philosophy:
Creating an open setup leads to fairly balanced roles... Or they should. Unfortunately, this game mode is incredibly out of date, and would likely need to have a complete rewrite of all the roles to make it functional today. It was one of my first game types to have a sequel.

While a list of roles could be added to this post, the roles are out of date. If anyone was interested in this game type being ran again, I'd be happy to try again.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2021, 09:59:24 pm »

Game Type:
Third Party Mafia

Description:
An open setup game where all roles are their own alignment.

Design Philosophy:
Ironically, this was a game mode meant to be all about NOT claiming Town. Players would be willing to lie, and there would be tons of reasons to claim or fakeclaim various alignments. Overall, this game mode suffers from a couple of issues with some third party alignments, but it's not too bad.

Roles:

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2021, 10:05:37 pm »

Game Type:
Don't Outguess The Mod Mafia

Description:
These are closed setup puzzle games, influenced by mafia mechanics. Each game is unique in how it runs and works.

Design Philosophy:
These games are setup to solve a puzzle. These could potentially be thought of as a Bastard Mod game, where the goal is to simply figure out what the heck is going on before someone else does. Overall, I feel like this game type could continue with more life in the forum, and a bit of time to make a new puzzle, but that's outside my purview at the moment.