Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [GUIDE] How To Make Dark Fortress Less Laggy But Balanced  (Read 1504 times)

rico6822

• Bay Watcher
  • Constantly fails to become elephant man.
    • View Profile
[GUIDE] How To Make Dark Fortress Less Laggy But Balanced
« on: July 28, 2021, 05:08:14 am »

This is not a mod actually but my personal guide on how to make goblin fortress exploration less annoying while also not making invasions easier or raiding their sites less challenging. You might be interested in making a backup creature raw's copy. I was thinking about making goblins resemble the traits of their original demonic forms to prevent cheesing them.

You can find those creatures in creature_standard.

1. Remove [SLOW_LEARNER] from trolls. This should prevent them from serving goblins as slaves in huge numbers and makes them learn double faster.

2. Remove [COMMON_DOMESTIC] from beak dogs. Goblin civilizations should still be allowed to appear in evil biomes.

3. Remove [SWIMS_LEARNED] and [NOCTURNAL] from goblins.

4. Apply [ALL_ACTIVE] [SWIMS_INNATE] [TRAPAVOID] [NOPAIN] [NOSTUN] [NONAUSEA] [NOFEAR] [NOEXERT] [NO_DIZZINESS] [NO_FEVERS] [NO_SLEEP] [FIREIMMUNE] and [DIFFICULTY:2] to goblins.

5. Modify MENTAL attributes of goblins like this:
[MENT_ATT_RANGE:ANALYTICAL_ABILITY:1250:1500:1750:2000:2500:3000:5000]
[MENT_ATT_RANGE:FOCUS:1250:1500:1750:2000:2500:3000:5000]
[MENT_ATT_RANGE:WILLPOWER:1250:1500:1750:2000:2500:3000:5000]
[MENT_ATT_RANGE:PATIENCE:0:333:666:1000:2333:3666:5000]
[MENT_ATT_RANGE:MEMORY:1250:1500:1750:2000:2500:3000:5000]
[MENT_ATT_RANGE:LINGUISTIC_ABILITY:450:1050:1150:1250:1350:1550:2250]
[MENT_ATT_RANGE:MUSICALITY:0:333:666:1000:2333:3666:5000]
[MENT_ATT_RANGE:SOCIAL_AWARENESS:700:1300:1400:1500:1600:1800:2500]

6. Modify personality of goblins like this:
[PERSONALITY:ANXIETY_PROPENSITY:0:0:0]
[PERSONALITY:DEPRESSION_PROPENSITY:0:0:0]
[PERSONALITY:BASHFUL:0:0:0]
[PERSONALITY:STRESS_VULNERABILITY:0:0:0]
[PERSONALITY:FRIENDLINESS:0:0:0]
[PERSONALITY:ASSERTIVENESS:100:100:100]
[PERSONALITY:DISDAIN_ADVICE:100:100:100]
[PERSONALITY:CHEER_PROPENSITY:0:0:0]
[PERSONALITY:GRATITUDE:0:0:0]
[PERSONALITY:TRUST:0:0:0]
[PERSONALITY:ALTRUISM:0:0:0]
[PERSONALITY:SWAYED_BY_EMOTIONS:0:0:0]
[PERSONALITY:CRUELTY:100:100:100]
[PERSONALITY:PRIDE:100:100:100]
[PERSONALITY:GREED:100:100:100]
Remove any other personality modifiers.

7. Grand goblins the following natural skills:
[NATURAL_SKILL:WRESTLING:3]
[NATURAL_SKILL:BITE:3]
[NATURAL_SKILL:GRASP_STRIKE:3]
[NATURAL_SKILL:STANCE_STRIKE:3]
[NATURAL_SKILL:MELEE_COMBAT:3]
[NATURAL_SKILL:RANGED_COMBAT:3]
[NATURAL_SKILL:DODGING:3]
[NATURAL_SKILL:SITUATIONAL_AWARENESS:3]
8. In entity_default make goblin civilizations have 50 points in martial arts.
9. Set murder and assault ethics of goblin civs in entity_default to JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON so they won't murder eachother frequently.

Now those annoying goblins won't run away from you and pose higher threat in combat. If you get any chance to fight them you won't have to search for them because they won't run away. In return exp received from them is doubled to make them make more sense.

You are free to share your own conception with me.

Did you just created new world with trolls and beak dogs already infesting dark fortresses? Simply enter raws of your world and edit them to have [AQUATIC] and [IMMOBILE] tokens. Eventually the lag will stop but you should remove them upon leaving to prevent cheesing further encounters. Also buff goblins the way I advised you to.

No, this is not an error of mine to make them resistant to magma. They are supposted to have high temperature resistant bodies.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2021, 09:13:16 am by rico6822 »
Does anybody know how to become an elephant man in adventure mode? I literally did all advanced world settings possible to increase chances.

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
Re: [GUIDE] How To Make Dark Fortress Less Laggy But Balanced
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2021, 02:29:43 pm »

Would removing immortality help as well? I could be mistaken but I always thought part of the problem was goblins multiplying like rabbits with very few of them ever dying off.
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

rico6822

• Bay Watcher
  • Constantly fails to become elephant man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2021, 03:52:44 am »

Would removing immortality help as well? I could be mistaken but I always thought part of the problem was goblins multiplying like rabbits with very few of them ever dying off.

Toady intended them to die always violently. I don't think there are so many of them to cause inhuman lag but you can remove their biological immortality if you play on older worlds.
Does anybody know how to become an elephant man in adventure mode? I literally did all advanced world settings possible to increase chances.

Haethei

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2021, 05:18:24 pm »

Using legends viewer, basically every world I made with an age of 125 years had significantly more living Goblins than any other civ. They usually made up around 30-40%. I would suggest trying some experimenting and see for yourself how effective it is. Try changing it so they live only 50 or 25 years, and use Legends Viewer (part of starter pack, fairly easy to use) to see how many goblins end up staying alive with worlds generated the same amount of years. Also try exploring dark pits with an adventurer when the population is lower, and see if the lag is just as bad.

Elves also live forever like goblins, but their population is always a lot lower for some reason. Elves like going to war, but since goblins are usually hated by everyone you'd expect them to get killed a lot more. Checking the raws, goblins seem to have [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] so they don't seem to breed more than elves?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2021, 05:21:12 pm by Haethei »

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2021, 06:58:49 pm »

It could be the fact that elves, unlike goblins, still need to eat and drink, so maybe enough elves are dying off of thirst and starvation to make a difference (but TBH I have no idea whether dying from anything other than natural causes or violence is even a possibility in worldgen the same way it is in regular play).
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2021, 01:16:47 am »

I think elves simply suffer greater casualties due to their inferior equipment. I mean, when's the last time you've seen elves *win* a war?

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2021, 03:00:12 am »

I think elves simply suffer greater casualties due to their inferior equipment. I mean, when's the last time you've seen elves *win* a war?

This is true, but they also get unlimited time to grind up that military tactics skill and all of their army is either animal or soldier fodder. Simply putting the giraffes and tigers in the appropriate strategic place makes all the difference with carrying momentum of what they can do.

Elves eat animals as much as any other creature being omnivorous, so whenever they get a site, the animal population (which their tokens let them get free pick of) jumps up to feed them, hence a big ball of animals will still remain even if all the elves got horribly cut down and depopulates them temporarily since there is no 'culling' in place.

If you want a harder example of how equipment can effect battles, dwarves that overcommit to a war with a lot at stake can easily throw a army of 200 with artifact weapons should the need arise, and take down 20 clowns in a army despite grave losses of the entire force themselves, and more or less stomp anybody who comes across their way when they're called in as allies (which is one of the 'Only if Sanctioned' conditions that usually prohibit them declaring war on anyone actively)