Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Furrowed?  (Read 2031 times)

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Furrowed?
« on: November 28, 2007, 08:52:00 pm »

I have a small fort (45 dwarves) and for some reason, even though I have 150+ plump helm spawn,
the plump helmet spot is red...the soil is 'furrowed' silty clay loam. Do I have to make a new area somewhere else? Is my soil soiled    :p  (pun intended)?

btw there's no safe way to get water to plots from where they currently are.

Flok Speargrabber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Furrowed?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2007, 08:55:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Helmaroc:
<STRONG>I have a small fort (45 dwarves) and for some reason, even though I have 150+ plump helm spawn,
the plump helmet spot is red...the soil is 'furrowed' silty clay loam. Do I have to make a new area somewhere else? Is my soil soiled     :p  (pun intended)?

btw there's no safe way to get water to plots from where they currently are.</STRONG>

I take it you're new?

I'm PRETTY SURE that the seed is red.

Furrowed means that it's been hoe'd.

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2007, 09:06:00 pm »

No, I mean when I select the plot, the option to select plump helmets as a crop is red, so I can't select it.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2007, 09:08:00 pm »

What season is it?

It might be too cold to plant it.  :)

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2007, 11:06:00 pm »

that means it's too late in that season to plant the crop, it won't have time to grow before the season changes. That or if they are all red the season is probably over.

just switch to the next season (a, b, c, d switch seasons if I'm not mistaken) and select it there and they will start growing them as soon as possible.

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Zurai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2007, 08:49:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by BurnedToast:
<STRONG>that means it's too late in that season to plant the crop, it won't have time to grow before the season changes. That or if they are all red the season is probably over.

just switch to the next season (a, b, c, d switch seasons if I'm not mistaken) and select it there and they will start growing them as soon as possible.</STRONG>

This is incorrect. If a plant is red on the display list, it means there are not enough nutrients left in the soil to grow that crop for the remainder of the year. Nutrients reset every spring. You can grow plump helmets year round without a problem, but if you grow sweet pods or quarry bushes you'll run into red crops late autumn/early winter.

Kidinnu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2007, 08:56:00 am »

There's been some argument that it may be a fertility problem; plots used intensively for a crop year-round (and other plots nearby) may find that crop (and some others) redded out in early winter, even though there's plenty of time to grow multiple harvests.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2007, 10:24:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Zurai:
<STRONG>

This is incorrect. If a plant is red on the display list, it means there are not enough nutrients left in the soil to grow that crop for the remainder of the year. Nutrients reset every spring. You can grow plump helmets year round without a problem, but if you grow sweet pods or quarry bushes you'll run into red crops late autumn/early winter.</STRONG>

Is that so? I seem to recall growing sweet pods then cave wheat in a field all year, then dimple cups in the winter and never having a problem. I'm also totally sure I've grown pretty much every type of outside crop year long with no troubles either.

If it's true, it might be based on soil types or unique to quarry bushes because I never grow the damn things. I'll test it further.

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2007, 04:05:00 pm »

Thanks, it's late winter so that explains it.

If only I had waited a little longer before I posted...

Zurai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2007, 06:18:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by BurnedToast:
<STRONG>

Is that so? I seem to recall growing sweet pods then cave wheat in a field all year, then dimple cups in the winter and never having a problem. I'm also totally sure I've grown pretty much every type of outside crop year long with no troubles either.

If it's true, it might be based on soil types or unique to quarry bushes because I never grow the damn things. I'll test it further.</STRONG>

I've done some pretty extensive testing myself. Soil fertility is the best explanation I have. Whatever it is, it has absolutely nothing to do with the date. I've had many, many times when pig tails were redded out but cave wheat wasn't, for example. Pig tails have a shorter growing time than cave wheat does, so that immediately rules out the "you didn't have enough time left in the season" explanation. Another thing that rules that out is the fact that I've harvested sweet pods in autumn and pig tails/cave wheat well into winter  ;)

Yourself

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2007, 07:43:00 pm »

This reminds me; I've been meaning to ask about that Ft thing in the farm menu.  What is it?  I've always thought it had something to do with soil fertility, but I've never understood what the numbers next to it meant and I can't find anything about it on the wiki.

Zurai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2007, 10:06:00 pm »

It's for fertilizer. Right now, fertilizer is a pain in the rear to make and not at all necessary, so I haven't done anything with it.