Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Few weeks after appointing Militia Commander I became Mountain Home - No Holding  (Read 1923 times)

hanni79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Very much to my surprise a Queen moved in (together with a Goblin liaison).

I always play "peacefull", without Invaders and thought I would like to advance to a barony. So I prepared to start a military and appointed a Militia Commander. Shortly afterwards, like two weeks, the Queen arrived and I became the mointainhome.

Funny thing is, since I had not really started my military, I obviously did not have any holdings. As far as I can tell I also had no economic links or such.

Is this normal behaviour ? Is it a bug ? Did anyone encounter something like this ?
In case of bug, I could upload the current save and one a little older if that helped.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile

She moved in? I think it sounds like it's more an example of emigration rather than Mountainhome designation.

If the Mountainhomes get overrun, destroyed, etc, then you can get the designation. But it's not because of your Commander. It's because of the other fortress crumbling.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

hanni79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

She moved in? I think it sounds like it's more an example of emigration rather than Mountainhome designation.

If the Mountainhomes get overrun, destroyed, etc, then you can get the designation. But it's not because of your Commander. It's because of the other fortress crumbling.

As I have absolutely no clue how to check if your idea were true, I can't say if that happened or not, but it sounds like something that could happen in DF. Would be a hell of a funny coincidence ^^ So thanks a lot for that info !  :)

Is there any way to check if that could be the case ?

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile

I've many times had royalty as part of the fortress, yet not officially been the actual Mountainhomes. (Someone "back home" died, and the heir happened to have emigrated to the fort years ago, for example). So that's checkable, just check the map, I think (could be wrong there). There would have been an announcement, but you might have missed it (I don't always keep up to date on announcements if much is happening). But if there are no longer map locatable mountainhomes fortresses... then I guess you're it?

I really don't see how appointing (or not appointing) a military could have any standing on whether the other fortress fell though. Often I appoint mine a few ticks after the game has started. Thank goodness I don't have the responsibility of a random monarch so soon!

Either way, congratulations! How are you going making all the things royalty needs? Got some nice well appointed rooms in the Marble layer all picked out?
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You can check the state of your civ by making a copy of the save and start the copy, retire the fortress, and then start the copy in Legends mode to check Legends (or export the Legends info and look at it with the 3:rd party Legends Viewer). Once that's done you can discard the copy (If you're using DFHack you can save the game, go directly into Legends Mode, examine Legends or export it, and then kill the game, NOT resume, as entering Legends mode corrupts the game: this is you it's crucial to save before opening legends mode).

I haven't heard of the monarch moving to the fortress without it becoming the Mountainhome before, which is interesting, but I've gotten saddled with the selection of a new monarch from the fortress population many a time. I deal with mandates by making very sure not to enable the injustice system (too late of you make the mistake of appointing a commander), and use DFHackery to teleport all visiting villains directly into the magma sea for incineration (as the Villains implementation is completely broken, in my view).

There are two ways to get holdings, by the way: conquest, and economic linking. The second process is automatic, where nearby sites (including enemy ones!) link themselves to your fortress spontaneously (you get a message about it). A variant of that is that the Mountainhome establishes hillocks near your fortress and those link themselves to you (again without you having any input into the process, although I think fortress prosperity can affect the rate).
« Last Edit: June 27, 2021, 02:24:04 am by PatrikLundell »

hanni79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Okay, I have no clue how to use the Legends Viewer.

The only thing I found was "In 562, midspring, (28th of Slate) Inod settled in Tourhelps.", type was "change hf state".

My z-screen tells me I'm a mountainhome.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Legends Viewer is used by first exporting legends info from DF while in Legends Mode (two commands, if I remember correctly, first the profile and then legends info, although the order isn't significant). After that you start Legends Viewer (which you download from the link at the first page of its thread in the Utilities sub forum), and once Legends Viewer has started you load the XML file exported by DF. Figuring out how to navigate Legends Viewer's info shouldn't be too hard, as it uses browser logic.

hanni79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Thanks PatrikLundell, that part I already fugured out, I just don't know what I am actually searching for.

I found the message that the queen (Inod something) settled in my Fortress. But what else am I looking for ? I couldn't find anything like a change from City / Metropolis to mountainhome.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'd look at 4 things:
- Your civ. Does it have any relevant notes?
- The former mountainhome. Has it been conquered (you'd probably find info at the civ level about the change of mountainhome, and thus the name of the previous one)?
- Your fortress, but you probably won't find much, as the info about the active fortress is oddly lacking.
- The queen. I'd actually expect the former mountainhome to have been conquered/razed and the queen to have fled and ended up at your site, as that's the single scenario I can come up with (but I don't claim to have stellar imagination...).

You can find the info above both via Legends Mode directly and exported to Legends Viewer. If you're using DFHack to export info Legends Viewer can provide a bit more info than DF exposes at times, but the main reason I prefer it is that it's easier and nicer to use.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2021, 11:26:46 am by PatrikLundell »

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I always play "peacefull", without Invaders and thought I would like to advance to a barony. So I prepared to start a military and appointed a Militia Commander. Shortly afterwards, like two weeks, the Queen arrived and I became the mointainhome.

Funny thing is, since I had not really started my military, I obviously did not have any holdings. As far as I can tell I also had no economic links or such.

Is this normal behaviour ? Is it a bug ? Did anyone encounter something like this ?
In case of bug, I could upload the current save and one a little older if that helped.
It's probably worth figuring out why this happened.  The original Mountainhome is probably rekt and whatever rekt it may be coming after you next.
Legends Viewer is used by first exporting legends info from DF while in Legends Mode (two commands, if I remember correctly, first the profile and then legends info, although the order isn't significant). After that you start Legends Viewer (which you download from the link at the first page of its thread in the Utilities sub forum), and once Legends Viewer has started you load the XML file exported by DF. Figuring out how to navigate Legends Viewer's info shouldn't be too hard, as it uses browser logic.
It's a minor nuisance to do this because the fort needs to be retired, but you can just copy your game folder and do this kind of thing with the copy, rather than risk the oddities of fort retirement with your actual save files, or just the /data/save/ folder if you don't want to waste disk space even temporarily.

If you have some odd ethical qualm about exploiting Legends mode, you can also get information in-game to some extent, and whatever caused the Queen to flee the Mountainhome (or for whatever other possible reason she showed up) is probably going to be in her personal information and have caused some kind of emotion.  You probably want to avenge whatever wicked deed led to this result.

I have had this happen with no obvious reason, though, and the prior Mountainhome appeared to be intact and still dwarven.  Every other time, though, something horrible had happened, usually gobbos.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2021, 07:33:56 pm by muldrake »

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile

This could also happen if you started with a dead or dying civ, though you would have gotten a warning when you first embarked. My money is on the mountainhome being destroyed. Good luck keeping up with her demands!

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

No. Dead civs don't get monarchs at all. With "struggling" civs the monarch is normally appointed after a brief discussion. I agree with mountainhome destruction as the likely cause, though (regardless of whether the civ was "struggling" or not prior to the destruction).

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile

No. Dead civs don't get monarchs at all. With "struggling" civs the monarch is normally appointed after a brief discussion. I agree with mountainhome destruction as the likely cause, though (regardless of whether the civ was "struggling" or not prior to the destruction).

Ah right - yeah the appointment thing is what I was thinking of, my mistake.