Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A sign that this fort is going ALL THE WAY  (Read 1216 times)

Kylaer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A sign that this fort is going ALL THE WAY
« on: January 19, 2007, 11:15:00 pm »

Never gotten the dwarf king before, I've always abandoned my fortresses after screwing up bigtime.

This fort, though, is gonna go all the way. It has to. The prophecy is written.

I'm in my second winter, I've had good immigration (38 dwarves total, 1 died in the cave river after he was thrown by a cave-in), decent amount of food, good crafts production. Starting to build defenses, got my initial line of traps under construction. All of that is fairly standard.

But I just got something special. The third fey mood of the game (other two created a perfect turquoise and a single cave spider silk sandal, respectively), a jeweler, grabbed two Aventurines and started working.

The result was Thalaloth Edosthidasotad, "Empireknot the Amazing Frilly Hand," an Aventurine throne. It is crusted with Aventurine. On the item is an image of a crown in Aventurine.

This will be the king's throne. It must be done, to celebrate the epic random chance.

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
Re: A sign that this fort is going ALL THE WAY
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2007, 11:51:00 pm »

EPIC MUSIC PLAYS

Heh. But seriously though, make sure you keep that chair under lock and key, and PRAY that the king /queen dwarf (or other noble pairs) you get likes /loves adventurines. That'd be impressive.

[ January 19, 2007: Message edited by: Mechanoid ]

Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

slMagnvox

• Bay Watcher
  • Attend Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2007, 03:10:00 am »

The creator of an artifact will eventually stop hauling around his creation?  I think the wiki quotes five years.  Five years after creation, dwarf will drop your Aventurine throne and you can then uild it, anyone can confirm this?  I've never played a fort long enough to pry any artifacts out of the hands of their creators.

Gakidou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2007, 03:39:00 am »

They also drop it if they die, but unlike nobles, people tend to not like to floodroom legends.

Too bad that you can't declare legend dwarves to be nobility, or I'd suggest making the creator your very own fortress tyrant. At the very least, you should let him have a study made from the throne until the king comes. You know, to wear it in for him.

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2007, 04:29:00 am »

The bonus to having a dwarf with an artifact in hand for 5 years; that dwarf will win every single fight he gets into. Not only does he get bonus damage from the construction quality (artifact is many times > masterpeice) but he also gets some sort of improvised weapon bonus damage, and weight bonus damage, along with his actual combat skills.

In fact, a good idea (in theory) to kill the pit demons is to get a nearly-legendary [weapon] dwarf, and then turn that dwarf into a weapon smith and PRAY he makes an artifact weapon of his combat skill types. Since he'll hold onto the weapon for FIVE YEARS, he would be able to single handedly take down multiple cave trolls getting loads of experience, and turning into a legendary dwarf of his weapon profession.
Bam, pit demons die by the assload.   :D

[ January 20, 2007: Message edited by: Mechanoid ]

Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

TakiJap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2007, 08:14:00 am »

Wait a second. So when my metalsmith made an artifact copper sword, he actually made a badass sowrd of death, instead of a nice little room decoration.

OldMiner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2007, 08:28:00 am »

Don't get /too/ close to legendary if you're trying to pull this off.  Once a dwarf becomes elite, you can't assign him any sort of crafting, and you can't deactivate him.  "This hero need not work." declare the labor preferences screen.

I've only ever gotten one Elite dwarf, though, and he's presently a "Great" Marksdwarf  (followed by the three master levels, then legendary...soon), so it's either accomplished or great at which point you lose the ability to re-civilianize a dwarf.

I have seen military dwarves get moods before, so it might be possible still for an elite to randomly get a fey mood.  Completely unskilled dwarves sort of choose a shop and target at random, it seems, so even a dabbling wrestler could churn out a legendary swad.  But, oh, what a bummer if he goes possessed and makes a silk earring.

Kylaer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2007, 12:23:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by slMagnvox:
<STRONG>The creator of an artifact will eventually stop hauling around his creation?  I think the wiki quotes five years.  Five years after creation, dwarf will drop your Aventurine throne and you can then uild it, anyone can confirm this?  I've never played a fort long enough to pry any artifacts out of the hands of their creators.</STRONG>

It was a Possession, not a Fey mood, so he didn't go legendary. He's still a low-value newbie, and I can drown/starve him without any concern. I won't do it until I NEED the throne, though, and he may drop it naturally before the king arrives.

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2007, 12:35:00 pm »

Question.  Did you get the King, or the Adamantine King?  Because Toady says they're two different nobles.  I personally have never been able to get the Real King.

If it is the real King (gotten by having an incredibly valuable fortress, and more or less ALL of the other lesser nobles) could you tell us more about him?  Like what he demands and such?  Because I'm pretty sure that most people are like me, and used to only the Adamantine King.

herrbdog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2007, 01:25:00 pm »

What's the difference between the two kings? Adamantine demands?

Nobles who want adamantine get to dream about it, under water...

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2007, 06:16:00 pm »

I assume as such, yes, but then, as I said, I've never gotten the real king, I'm just repeating that Toady said there was a difference between them.

[ January 20, 2007: Message edited by: Fieari ]

Kylaer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2007, 09:00:00 pm »

Oh, I'm not close to getting the king yet. I just got a new immigration wave, a nice one (~22 dorfs, including my first four nobles - thankfully, it was the four useful ones, manager, bookkeeper, broker, and sheriff), so I'll have more hands to keep expanding my fortress. It'll take a while...

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2007, 09:50:00 pm »

I never got that far... I always end up abandoning when I get like 6 nobles or 100 dwarves... I always end up finding things I don't like about the fortress. =/

darknight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2007, 04:42:00 pm »

I've never gotten the king either. Four out of 5 times, I end up teaching dwarves to swim before I can even think about the king.
ho watches those that watch us???