Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Board games and other party games in Fortress Mode/Adventurer?  (Read 452 times)

JAL28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Board games and other party games in Fortress Mode/Adventurer?
« on: January 27, 2021, 06:32:02 pm »

As the title says, dwarves can play chess games, either of the real world variety or proc-genned themselves. Dwarves could play these on the floor with other dwarves in taverns, or on tables with multiple seats. Playing games would give dwarves happy thoughts. Also, during wartime with another race (eg. Elves), there might be anti-elf(or whatever race is warring) games and stuff made, which would probably include things like the famous “Pin the arrow on the Elf”.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Board games and other party games in Fortress Mode/Adventurer?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2021, 11:10:13 pm »

Yes. Dev notes:
Games:
 - Dwarves can gamble with outsiders
 - Ability to play games directly if a dwarf is involved
Adventure mode
 - Games to play and player gambling
Was planned for Taverns, but was put off until later (whenever that may be).

Not sure how much thought was out into it last time, so specific ideas for the future procedural board game generators would probably be useful.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 11:12:40 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2021, 06:21:22 pm »

Such board games might be procedurally generated like literary forms and music instruments are, departing from basic rules (such as the amount of randomness versus skills for exemple); maybe such games might train up some skills such as balance, intelligence and other ones.
"Just tell me about the bits with the forest-defending part, the sociopath part is pretty normal dwarf behavior."

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2021, 07:46:42 pm »

There is a difference between having procedural board games or a gamble option where you just hit a button to gamble, and the game spits out whether you win or lose, and having an actual "mini-game"-style game that players can play, however.  If games are just activities that take place without interaction from the player, there's no difference between them and dances, which take up the exact same role and actions.

I'd honestly rather see something more like a DF version of poker or chess or Monopoly to play, which dwarves can play on their own in taverns in fortress mode, but which you as an adventurer could actually take part in.

And in that vein, unless you're talking about having procedural pieces or a procedural board/map in the game that otherwise has static rules, making a procedural game that is actually playable and worth playing would require coding wizardry beyond what any programmer is likely capable of making.  There would be something quite amusing about having your adventurer sit down for a board game that is a roguelike adventure, however... (Even moreso if it is all the kinds of arcadey stuff that Toady avoids making DF where adventurers slay monsters for top score and themed totally differently from DF itself.)
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2021, 10:59:07 pm »

Certainly seems sensible to make it similar to musical skills.

Hneftafl, Morris, Chess, Mancala, and many other games would be appropriate to add even if the actual outcomes of the games ("Has a chess score of 1900 on LiChess" or whatever) aren't so much necessary. I mean, we can have dice made up these days, but those are only used in temples I'm told. Being able to scatter some board games in the tavern would be nice...
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!