Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Symbolism of Colors in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 3239 times)

rico6822

• Bay Watcher
  • Constantly fails to become elephant man.
    • View Profile
Symbolism of Colors in Dwarf Fortress
« on: January 21, 2021, 10:28:02 am »

I know that purple may be supposted to represent nobility but it also indicates hammer warriors. What are the other colours supposted to mean? Are hammer users considered to be truly noble?
Does anybody know how to become an elephant man in adventure mode? I literally did all advanced world settings possible to increase chances.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
Re: Symbolism of Colors in Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2021, 11:13:33 am »

There’s a limited amount of colors in the game, so to make combat units distinguishable from one another they have to use colors already used by civilian professions.

The color is selected depending on the creature’s ”profession”/”skill category”. Here’s the wiki on them.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
Re: Symbolism of Colors in Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2021, 04:31:57 pm »

It is fun telling the health of my fort from the colours of the inhabitants.
Lots and lots of purple? Too many sedentary folk and not enough workers!
Almost everyone dressed in black or red? If we don't win this next seige the fort will be DONE for, so you're either drafted or an engineer.
Heaps of dark blue? The new migrants haven't integrated in my volcanic mountain fort with no sodding fish industry because it doesn't have ANY water other than the hospital pond. They will change their colours fast.
Heaps of royal blue? We're about to be asked for a Craftsdorf hall, better start digging...
Paler green? I was trying to get the cheese industry up and running and got carried away and incidentally I had no idea there were that many herbalists....
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!