Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Other games for getting interesting ideas  (Read 533 times)

Iä! RIAKTOR!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Other games for getting interesting ideas
« on: January 23, 2021, 04:25:10 pm »

Fallen London with it's spin-off Sunless Sea have very non-standard fantasy world. Interesting creatures, interesting plants/fungi, interesting magic, materials, dishes, colors, drugs and other lore parts, that may be spoilers. As non-spoiler suggestion: mechanic of writing book by compile information from other books.

Plague Inc as example of how may be procedural generated diseases. They may be simple coded for spreading in worldgen sites, when fortress mode can have various types of infections. Coughing as symptom may have side effect of spreading diseases that have token [COUGH_SPREADING] or [AIR_SPREADING]. Various diseases may spread by contact with enemy's blood. Nox Eternis may be example of disease that create night creatures, Neurax - that turn creatures into villains and also creating cults of the disease, Necroa - disease that animate dead body after some time. I think, adding diseases as gods' curses may make them more curse-like.

I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream have idea about body-turning as torture or vengeance.

Half Life 1 about parasitic creatures (not only zombie, but also gonom), healing water using by civ, electric/sound/vermin attacks and other planes of reality. It's sequel only have interesting antlions and their pheromones.

I will add more when remember fifth game;s name.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Other games for getting interesting ideas
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2021, 08:39:58 am »

While there are certainly mechanics that other games use where I wish Toady would crib some notes, such as having a "keep ordering more of this type of object until you hit X units in storage" mechanic, just ripping off whole storytelling concepts from entirely different genres will only dilute the uniqueness of Dwarf Fortress's emergent storytelling capabilities.

Also, why would you think Toady wouldn't know about things like Half Life?  It's one of the most influential FPS games ever made.  You're not even trying to describe a way to use the idea, just saying "go look at Half Life".  What value could this possibly have?  (And then ending on a Rick Perry moment of not even remembering your last example is kind of perfect...)
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Iä! RIAKTOR!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Other games for getting interesting ideas
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2021, 08:53:17 am »

While there are certainly mechanics that other games use where I wish Toady would crib some notes, such as having a "keep ordering more of this type of object until you hit X units in storage" mechanic, just ripping off whole storytelling concepts from entirely different genres will only dilute the uniqueness of Dwarf Fortress's emergent storytelling capabilities.

Also, why would you think Toady wouldn't know about things like Half Life?  It's one of the most influential FPS games ever made.  You're not even trying to describe a way to use the idea, just saying "go look at Half Life".  What value could this possibly have?  (And then ending on a Rick Perry moment of not even remembering your last example is kind of perfect...)
Yes, mechanics. Very interesting mechanics, like fruits that can scream, liquid drinkable memories, candles made out of souls, radioctive mineral that grow like grass.

I don't know what games or other things are popular and what aren't. And also I remembered example game - Command and Conquer.