Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: exporting dwarf fortress map for use in other game  (Read 1194 times)

Uristits

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
exporting dwarf fortress map for use in other game
« on: June 21, 2021, 01:51:12 pm »

Is this possible? Does anyone have experience with this? Is this allowed?

Dwarf fortress already makes really good maps and it would be interesting and time saving to use dwarf fortress to generate the world maps instead of me developing the algorithm.

DwarfStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: exporting dwarf fortress map for use in other game
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2021, 02:09:03 pm »

I'm sure it's allowed for your own personal enjoyment. If you intended to publish and make money off of the resulting game, I don't know the answer myself. You might need to check with a lawyer, or maybe someone else here would know.

As far as how to do it, it's definitely possible. I saw this video recently demonstrating editing of the world gen files, and he explains how the file format works. You'd need to figure out how to parse that and convert it into whatever format the other game needs...or just write the code into the other game to load DF world gen files directly.

https://youtu.be/85b27iLaGgQ?t=1333

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2021, 03:43:08 am »

The maps (world map) themselves can be exported in many different layers and you can also get many information from the legends in the XML export format.
Look at legend viewer third party program for more details...
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2021, 07:45:47 am »

I think ive memorized seeing a dwarf fortress to Minecraft-map conversion tool before, given that a lot of the data is pretty densely packed, but you'd have to search the third party tools modding subforum to try and find it. MC by comparison can use actual-geographical OSM data, so a df xml with some direction on what to build would work out fine also.