Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 1.4 times the efficiency?  (Read 1047 times)

julius

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
1.4 times the efficiency?
« on: November 28, 2007, 04:45:00 pm »

Dwarves can move diagonally now, which effectively makes them move 1.4 times as fast as vertically or horizontally.

Is it possible to leverage this somehow by building a fortress oriented along the diagonals instead of the Cartesian grid?  (Presumably those of you with very, very large rooms and few hallways effectively have this already.)  Would there be any point?

Mzbundifund

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't play adventurer mode
    • View Profile
Re: 1.4 times the efficiency?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2007, 05:47:00 pm »

The most 'efficient' fortress is, and has always been, one massive room with stockpiles somewhere near their workshops (dining room considered a 'workshop' near the food stockpile). But that is one plug ugly fortress.

ParrotPatrol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2007, 05:48:00 pm »

It would look hideous, and it would hurt my head to look at all those pointy corners.

Stij

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2007, 05:50:00 pm »

I prefer cool looking over efficient any day.

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2007, 06:04:00 pm »

I go for somewhere in between efficient and aesthetic design. I make relative stuff close together, but not so close that there aren't any walls or anything.
Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2007, 06:10:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by julius:
<STRONG>Dwarves can move diagonally now, which effectively makes them move 1.4 times as fast as vertically or horizontally.

Is it possible to leverage this somehow by building a fortress oriented along the diagonals instead of the Cartesian grid?  (Presumably those of you with very, very large rooms and few hallways effectively have this already.)  Would there be any point?</STRONG>

No, Toady made diagonal movement 1.4 times slow to compensate.

julius

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2007, 07:06:00 pm »

Really?  I wonder if flows are reduced by a similar amount.

Quintin Stone

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Bureaucrat
    • View Profile
    • RPS
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2007, 11:24:00 pm »

I saw someone post this compact bedroom design:
code:

=======
=  =  =
=  =  =
===X===
=  =  =
=  =  =
=======

Where the X is the stairs up and/or down.  So the only way to the bedrooms is from the stairs and then moving diagonally from there to the room.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2007, 11:53:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Mzbundifund:
<STRONG>The most 'efficient' fortress is, and has always been, one massive room with stockpiles somewhere near their workshops (dining room considered a 'workshop' near the food stockpile). But that is one plug ugly fortress.</STRONG>
I don't think that that's true anymore.  That was true in two-dimensional fortresses, but now that we have three dimensions it's probably better to build your stockpiles directly above or below your workshops, with many stairs.  This lets you build many more 'interconnected' workshops near the same stockpiles.

Also, having no walls or doors at all makes it impossible to seal off or quarantine individual areas of your fortress, which can be bad when tantrums occur, when you want to keep your dwarves away from something, when you want to seal in a miasma, and so on.

We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Mzbundifund

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't play adventurer mode
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2007, 10:06:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Aquillion:
<STRONG>That was true in two-dimensional fortresses...</STRONG>

I think it's still true, you just need a massive cube-room now, with all of the non-stockpile non-workshop space being up-down stairways.

quote:
Originally posted by Aquillion:
<STRONG>Also, having no walls or doors at all makes it impossible to seal off or quarantine individual areas of your fortress, which can be bad when tantrums occur, when you want to keep your dwarves away from something, when you want to seal in a miasma, and so on.</STRONG>

Right, in a real fortress you've got to balance efficiency with defensive capability.  I imagine the efficiency fortress would dump refuse down garbage shafts, so miasma wouldn't ever be a problem.