Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: water.exe replenishes magma  (Read 645 times)

intently

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
water.exe replenishes magma
« on: November 28, 2007, 10:22:00 am »

The water.exe recently posted to the wiki (not by me) can be used to replenish magma.  If there is magma in a "murky pool" instead of water, that magma will be set to depth level 7/7.  Sweet.

Wolfius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: water.exe replenishes magma
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2007, 11:19:00 am »

Neat.

Tho that's pretty blaintent cheating, it does have some interesting possabilities - just have to make sure it stays connected to the magma vent, as it'll probably destroy the murky pool tile(s) under it if it's allowed to harden.

As for where it came from, see here

Erasmus Darwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2007, 12:02:00 pm »

That's pretty funny.  It makes sense, though.  The logic for the program is essentially:

For each block:
-For each tile in the block:
--If the tile is type 02 (murky pool) and the flow isn't 7 then set the flow to 7.

It seems that water and lava use the same flow variable, and there must be a flag somewhere else to indicate whether it's water or lava.

intently

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2007, 05:27:00 pm »

I'm not sure I consider it cheating considering that magma vents should supply limitless magma.

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2007, 06:12:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by intently:
<STRONG>I'm not sure I consider it cheating considering that magma vents should supply limitless magma.</STRONG>
It is, but who cares in an alpha?
My dwarves are not your dwarves.

Buoyancy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2007, 03:03:00 pm »

I fail to see how fixing an obvious bug (that magma vents don't replenish themselves indefinitely) is cheating.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2007, 07:03:00 pm »

If it had enough pressure to generate magma indefinitely, methinks it would be erupting, not placidly sitting still.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

sphr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2007, 08:42:00 pm »

actually, I think the utility is not meant for cheating but to get around a certain problem with riverless lands in hot regions.  The thing is that the hot region's pond evaporate PERMANENTLY within a season.  The only way to survive is to dig an underground cistern to draw in the water within half a season and that water is all you have to last for eternity.... until rain starts to refill pond, I think this tool is a workaround for this problem.  the lava refilling is but a by-product... (personally, I dug my underwater cistern after a few doomed restarts, so I haven't used the tool yet).

Anyway, if the lava thingy is for obsidian, I suggest starting in an obsidian rich area in the first place.  you'll have more obsidian than you can get even if you manage to cool an entire magma vent.  In fact, so much that I have to develop a system of dumping them in a sorted manner.