Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Looking for banana trees  (Read 1445 times)

Redman9012

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Looking for banana trees
« on: January 04, 2021, 10:25:04 pm »

So I'm looking for banana trees because I want to make a dwarven banana-based fort where my dwarves are only allowed to consume bananas as food and drink, however I can't seem to find them.

Has anyone found the trees?
And more importantly, could you post screenshots of the trees in DF?

I'm a bit worried that I just don't know which tile to look for when searching for banana trees.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for banana trees
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2021, 12:50:11 am »

Seems like they are bugged such that they can't actually exist: https://bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=10581
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2021, 12:51:08 am »

You need to mod them to have wood before they'll appear.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Silverwing235

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2021, 07:27:19 am »

Seems like they are bugged such that they can't actually exist: https://bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=10581
Which would seem to be accurate as it stands, because they're actually shrubs IRL.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2021, 08:03:14 am »

The problem isn't that they don't yield logs (which is an accurate simulation of the real world), but that they don't appear when they don't produce logs. Thus, changing their raws to have them yield logs is a work around with a non real life side effect, not a correction of the bug.

A correction of the bug would allow the current raw definition (or a minor adjustment of it if required) to let these "trees" appear in the game world, i.e. a "tree" producing fruit (actually berries), but yielding no logs when cut down.
This might be changed later when agriculture is overhauled to allow shrubs with life cycles longer than a single year to appear (raspberries, for instance, sprout above ground plant during the first year, bear fruit during the second year. After yielding fruit the above ground parts die. However the root stock sprouts new above ground parts every year, so you typically have a mix of new and one year old ones, plus the dead ones from previous years if they're not removed).

Flying Teasets

• Bay Watcher
  • another nation, or a non-governmental entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2021, 06:29:00 pm »

I've seen them appear in orchards but nowhere else.
Flying Teasets is stricken by melancholy!