Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: defensive flood  (Read 688 times)

ricemastah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
defensive flood
« on: January 11, 2007, 05:40:00 pm »

if i were to purposely flood the fortress via a flood gate would it be possible to reverse the flood at all? or would it become a permanent flood?

herrbdog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: defensive flood
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2007, 06:20:00 pm »

AFAIK, as long as the flood doesn't reach either river, it should be fine. It seems sort of a loop-back error.

ricemastah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2007, 06:34:00 pm »

never mind i found a better defensive method! i have flooded the wolrd and locked the doors! i am now unable to be killed by invasions of any sort! i would post pics but i dont know how

Pacho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2007, 07:17:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by ricemastah:
<STRONG>never mind i found a better defensive method! i have flooded the wolrd and locked the doors! i am now unable to be killed by invasions of any sort! i would post pics but i dont know how</STRONG>

You could have simply created a moat and a drawbridge and get the immunity plus the option of going outside too.

ricemastah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2007, 11:28:00 am »

yea but that feels like cheating... i mean if enemies cant cross the moat to get at me but i can choose to let in people selectively then thats not really fair.... what i am doing is getting rid of all people; immigrants, traders, and enemies. that way its not that im taking advanage of a bug it is that i am cuttting off all access to my fortress

Slartibartfast

• Bay Watcher
  • Menaces with spikes of Tin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2007, 12:39:00 pm »

Just don't forget that there are many nasties which spawn inside your fortress.
But what do I know?
Everything I say should be taken with atleast 1 tsp. of salt, and another liter of Dwarven Wine is recommended.

"I thought it was the size of the others!" said Vanon. "I guess it was just standing further away!"

ricemastah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2007, 01:17:00 pm »

o come on... the few lava men every once in awhile will be taken care of by my traps... and the ratment/antmen or whatever in the chasm dont bother u much unless u bother them... i plan to do that... with lava

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2007, 03:50:00 pm »

i dont see why so many people cut off a nice renewable resource of bone and chitin.  not to mention masterwork iron statues.

I personally prefer to bother them with waterfalls into the chasm, which causes them to attack in force with extreme frequency.  then they hit the meat grinders (tripple giant serrated blade traps are fun) and all thats left is harvesting their bones.

darknight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2007, 08:30:00 pm »

Oh, that gave me a wicked thought. Tunnel straight thru to the magma, and build a waterfall into the chasm along the way. Then go north or south a bit, and tunnel back to the river to make a farm. And except for the farm, have everything over by the magma flow. Then, raise the first chasm bridge, and leave everything open clear to the outside.

Let the invaders and traders wander in, and the chasm critters wander out, sit back, and watch the fun begin!

ho watches those that watch us???

Ibu Muffintakers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2007, 02:15:00 pm »

Recently I started on a 'terrifying' map for the first time.  I decided to see how quickly I could tame the map, so I sent one dwarf in to tunnel to the river and dig a farm and the other a little farther north to dig to the magma.  I mined out channels on all of the land bridges outside and ran a bridge over the river for the lava to cross, buffered by channels - voila, nuked planet.  Shutting the flood gates turned it off, and now I've got the entire river as a moat.  No problems with the perma-flood bug and I can take out any invasions with ease.

So far I've gotten away without ever needing a military except for the dogs.

ime flies like an arrow.  Fruit flies like a banana.