Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]

Author Topic: 2021 Hot Fresh Reading Challenge Thread  (Read 10698 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: 2021 Hot Fresh Reading Challenge Thread
« Reply #105 on: November 16, 2021, 10:38:23 pm »

More books, I'm moving fast right now.

Finished Hyperion book 1 and came up with a good non-spoiler synopsis:  Every single person in the galaxy has this huge conspiratorial plan and the story is the clusterfuck that ensues when everyone puts their plans into action simultaneously and realizes everyone else had one too.

Finished Hyperion book 2 as well, I slammed this one back in one day.  I don't want to say it's better than book 1 but it had me reading compulsively all the way through.  This is the one where the above clusterfuck really kicks off. 

There are two more Hyperion books but I haven't started on them yet, taking a break to read another Dan Simmons book, Carrion Comfort.  This one's pretty weird but also engaging, a horror novel with pretty grand scope, something I usually don't like but it works well here.  Some small portion of humans are psychic vampires.  They're like a cross between vampires, cronenberg scanners, and conspiracy theory adrenochrome addicts.  They can connect to people and share their thoughts as well as physically control their bodies, and they feed on the emotional turmoil of their victims as they're forced to do horrible things, and as long as they do it regularly they don't age.  A small group of more casual vampires end up killing each other and the messy fallout threatens to expose a much bigger, deeper conspiracy.
Shoes...

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 17, 2021, 04:25:58 pm »

I was doing well for a while, but then Dracula took me ages to get through (mostly due to distraction, especially with the world and my social life finally starting to open up somewhat - the book itself actually made for a surprisingly gripping read, considering what I'd heard about it over the years) to the point that I ended up with Goodreads telling me to read a book a week at one point. I may have read a cheeky graphic novel to catch up a bit, heh.   
Now I'm re-reading 100 Years of Solitude, an old favourite I'd been wanting to read again for years, and I really need to knuckle down and get stuck into it. Might be time to turn the ol' smartphone off for a while, methinks.   

I'm at 31 of 36.   

Edit: oh, two things I forgot to mention.   
Firstly, I picked up a copy of Hyperion (along with many other amazingly cheap books) at a surprisingly well-stocked op shop in a little country town earlier in the year. I've been meaning to read that for some time, it looks fantastic.   

Secondly, "a book a week" wouldn't have been far-fetched for me as a kid, when I was a speed reader who split the bulk of his free time pretty evenly between reading and videogames, but now (although I can achieve some pretty decent read-rates on the odd occasion that I'm in the zone and focused) it seemer almost absurdly unlikely.   
Anyway, that's it, gonna turn my phone off and do some reading now.   
« Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 04:31:33 pm by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 03, 2021, 08:15:39 pm »

Update for the month of November.

"Winterfair Gifts", Lois McMaster Bujold
Diplomatic Immunity, Lois McMaster Bujold
Interior Chinatown, Charles Yu
This is How you Lose the Time War
The Flowers of Vashnoi, Lois McMaster Bujold
Cryoburn, Lois McMaster Bujold
Gentleman Jole and the Red Queen, Lois McMaster Bujold
A Burst of Light and other Essays, Audre Lorde
The Shadow of Kyoshi, FC Yee
The Samurai's Garden, Gail Tsukiyama

Spoiler: Goal (click to show/hide)

Progress:

Spoiler: All About Prison, 5/4 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Other books, 71/0 (click to show/hide)

84 books read so far this year ...

So much was thrown off by my severe depression in the first part of the year that it's been hard to attempt the majority of my goals for 2021. I hope that next year can be more stable.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 31, 2021, 02:43:17 pm »

Month of December: *surprised pikachu face*

Yeah, I literally didn't finish a single book this month. I'm not even sure I cracked a book open. So the November post is where the year ends.

Choosing only the books from the unlisted category, here are the best that I read this year:

Permutation City - Greg Egan
In Defense of Looting - Vicky Osterweil
How to Hide an Empire - Daniel Immerwahr
The Unwomanly Face of War - Svetlana Alexievich
The Seventh Day - Yu Hua
Caste - Isabel Wilkerson
Hexarchate Trilogy - Yoon Ha Lee

A number of the other books were pretty good, but these seven were definitely the best. I learned a lot from this year's efforts.

1. Most importantly, I developed a much better sense of my own taste and how it differs from the standard books that tend to be recommended in certain venues. I am becoming more skilled at determining whether a book is going to contribute substantially to my knowledge or not.

2. I am reading a much more diverse list of authors than I was say, two years ago. I was surprised that, selecting solely on quality and with the intention of selecting up to twelve authors, my top seven authors for this year included two trans people, three women, and three authors of a different racial background than me.

2.' This was very much helped by actively pushing myself to listen to people whose points sounded disagreeable, and joining yearly reading challenges focusing on breadth over on Habitica.

3. One of my goals for the next year needs to be getting my hoard of owned or to-be-read books under control. I signed up for Storygraph at some point and might try to import my paper list over there.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 03, 2022, 08:17:58 am »

Oh right, I finished my goal just in time, on the 28th! I could have hit 36 books a lot sooner if I wasn't so easily distracted, but alas.   
Might aim for 40 this time. We'll see.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 03, 2022, 01:52:50 pm »

OK! Come post in the 2022 thread!

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]