Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Downfall of Deleravel: Or how one dwarf ruined it al  (Read 598 times)

Gaulgath

• Bay Watcher
  • ♪ Gold gold gold gold ♪
    • View Profile
The Downfall of Deleravel: Or how one dwarf ruined it al
« on: January 10, 2007, 08:53:00 pm »

It was my first good fort. It had survived for several years, and had a population of +100. Food and ale was plentiful, but that didn't stop just one dwarf from screwing everything up. Here is the dramatic story of Deleravel's downfall.

I had reached the magma flow and was doing quite well. I never suspected that something as bad as what was to come could happen. But it did. It all started when one dwarf decided to tantrum. At first I had not paid much attention to it, believing he would just get jailed and stop. I couldn't have been more wrong. You see, he suddenly decided to destroy something in his anger-driven rage. It happened to be the bridge across the cave river. How he managed to destroy a stone bridge with his bare hands, we will never know. But when he did, dozens of dwarves were stranded on the other side of the cave river.

And here my troubles began.

My attempts to biuld a bridge failed, because I didn't know which stones where on which side. This ended up in the repeated cancellation of the bridge. At last I built a wooden bridge, since all of my wood was on one side. But it was too little too late. The first domino had fallen. The stranded dwarves, while having food and water, were incredibly unhappy. They crossed the bridge, but they brought with them temper tantrums. That bridge was soon destroyed, and things went to hell in a handbasket. Before I could blink, over half the population was sad and/or tantruming. Fist fights started, and innocent dwarves were killed. This started even more tantrums.

Then I got sick of the whole damn thing and flooded the fort with magma.

Ookpik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Downfall of Deleravel: Or how one dwarf ruined it al
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2007, 10:52:00 pm »

Dude.  DUDE.  You had only one bridge across the cave river?  That's lunacy.  I usually have at least six -- not just because of the possibility of tantruming dwarves, but also to give idiot swimmers more of an opportunity to get back onto land after the annual flood.

Sorry about your loss, though!

g+@@T@+

The intruder arose, casting off its black cloak.  "Behold, stunted jesters!  It is I, Scuro!"  A jagged scar marked the goblin's face from eye to chin, his greasy mane gray and wild, and about his neck was the broken silver amulet, strapped together by a leather band.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2007, 11:06:00 pm »

*reads, gulps*

Note to self; Build more bridges.

HaunterV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2007, 03:24:00 am »

Lol I had one dwarf tantrum on and off for a year and a half.  needless to say the population seesawed for a while till he died of his idiocy

herrbdog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2007, 05:18:00 pm »

I build my bridges 1 tile high, by just enough to cover the river (or chasm) (not land). Then I build dozens and DOZENS of bridges, stretching as far as I feel like placing them, but usually I end up with a solid string of bridges about 50-60+ tiles high, to cover all the idiots near the river: the swimmers and the tantrumers. I don't use fisherdwarfs, to not attract the river critters, so I don't worry about them trying to find a place to fish. And I have never had a booze shortage problem, I don't even use wells, so my dwarfs don't even need to try to drink from the river. Also, I get spider silk like crazy from all them bridges. Oh yeah, I also clear both sides as well, for tree farms, even on Heavily Forested maps.

ricemastah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2007, 01:23:00 pm »

i flood the world that is on the opposite side of he river.. my fort goes on the non-flooded side! no need to worry about immigration now. cept population growth is slow caused only by births. that is pretty lame

Gaulgath

• Bay Watcher
  • ♪ Gold gold gold gold ♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2007, 05:18:00 pm »

Yea, I never thought to tantrum-proof my bridges. If I had, maybe the fort would still be with us today, and not be covered by a river of magma.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2007, 10:17:00 pm »

That which-stone-on-which side issue really needs to be fixed somehow, though...  letting players select stones generally by type and having the dwarves grab whatever's available would work, for instance.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One