Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarven architecture  (Read 1396 times)

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarven architecture
« on: November 27, 2007, 03:45:00 pm »

When you're making a new fortress, how do you make your fortress? Do you just make random shapes? Or do you think about it's interior and the functions of the rooms? Do you make a new floor for every kind of building? Or do you stick on one floor?

I used to dig out a floor for every type of room, but recently I've changed to sticking on one level with a central 3 by 3 staircase and 10 by 10 rooms (just because they're easy to make with the shift+arrow-combination). Except for bedrooms, dining halls, offices... (basically anything that needs an adjective). Those go down a couple of levels for the engravings. I also think about the best locations for my stockpiles, farms, workshops...

Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

Wolfius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven architecture
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2007, 04:05:00 pm »

Well, my food stockpiles are 10x10 rooms, one food and one booze, placed by my farms and then extended down along the Z-axis with internal stairs near the enterence(so I could, say, store 1000 barrels with a maximum transit distance of only 20 tiles from door to deepest store in the back of Z -10). Probably cut entrys on the lower levels next fort, allowing quick access to the ajacent dining hall and food-associated work shops, rather than routing through the main stair.

Said main stair:

code:

█████████
███<<<███
+++++++++
+++++++++
+++++++++
███>>>███
█████████

It looks nicer than a single shaft, is safer(can only fall one Z), and allows inter-level trapping(or channeling to quickly cut non-flier access) should I ever find HIDDEN FUN STUFF I can't survive.

[ November 27, 2007: Message edited by: Wolfius ]

slMagnvox

• Bay Watcher
  • Attend Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2007, 04:09:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Kidiri:
<STRONG>I used to dig out a floor for every type of room, but recently I've changed to sticking on one level with a central 3 by 3 staircase and 10 by 10 rooms (just because they're easy to make with the shift+arrow-combination). Except for bedrooms, dining halls, offices... (basically anything that needs an adjective). Those go down a couple of levels for the engravings. I also think about the best locations for my stockpiles, farms, workshops...</STRONG>

So far so good.  Keep efficiency in mind.  Every dwarf has to eat, so keep the dining room centralized and put a food and drink stockpile nearby (use the t:take from pile command in the stockpile's menu to have haulers bring food and drink from your main stockpiles).  Every dwarf has to sleep, so either keep bedrooms central or build apartments near their work areas.  Dwarves drink alot, so making several remote booze piles near work areas is a help.  Some workshops like Masons and Craftdwarves shop are better placed just in the middle of a hall or new room full of stone so you don't have to bother with stockipiling stones for those shops.  Once the area is cleared of rock, feel free to tear down the shop.  Keep the seeds near the fields and keep the still and farmer's workshop near the seeds, keep the loom and clothes shop near the farmer's workshop ... And on and on.

Blaidd_Drwg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2007, 05:31:00 am »

I hollow out basically the entire soil level and put workshops and stockpiles where ever I feel like it. I save my architecture for the lower levels.

Quift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2007, 06:06:00 am »

Hi,

I recently had the idea of building my fort as a sphere which proved very efficient in terms om space (save the larger bedrooms.)

one sphere with a diameter of 16 squares could easily hold about 50 dwarves complete with all industries (and very limited spaces for stockpiles).

problems arose with the second project of carving the sphere out of the mountainside to dig a moat then storeys down. managed to kill every single one of my miners in that endevaour. also the deliver on demand supply system needed and all the chasming of inferior and unneccessary products to save space took some energy.

This time I'm building up a more normal fort first, and will prolly mason up some spheres laer on as housing for the king, one as a temple with a 6 storey circular dome, in the center a sacrificial altar and another 5 storey waterfall of blood. would really need to collect enough blood to make a reservoir. is that possible? if I kill several creatures in rapid succesion could I collect the blood and then pump it around?

Black Line

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2007, 06:20:00 am »

Lol imma go make a fort while high on grass and post it XD
elp build Alabelina click >here<
Here have a cookie

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2007, 06:54:00 am »

Welcome to the Dutch standards of gaming!!!

Confucius say: Man who stand on toilet is high on pot

Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Black Line

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2007, 07:15:00 am »

I am more Uh, in the game when im high. The fort I made looks normal but by coincidence I made an upside down axe;P

elp build Alabelina click >here<
Here have a cookie

Wolfius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2007, 09:55:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Quift:
<STRONG>
would really need to collect enough blood to make a reservoir. is that possible? if I kill several creatures in rapid succesion could I collect the blood and then pump it around?</STRONG>

No, the game doesn't treat blood as a liquid.

What you might do instead, would be to, say, catch goblins in cage traps, then build the cages in the way of your waterfall(temporarily stopped via floodgate), then release then such they can't get out while marksdwarves shoot them up. After they're dead and the ground bloody, open the floodgate and you should get a bloody waterfall.

You can also use, say, weapon traps with giant axe blades - that should create a good bit of blood - and will probably want to put grates atop the fall to contain your goblins and their equiment. Not sure if they'd still produce blood or what, but it'll make salvage easier.

Anyway, that should work, but I've no idea how long the bloody water will last befor you have to reset it.

Quift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2007, 06:10:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Wolfius:
<STRONG>

No, the game doesn't treat blood as a liquid.

What you might do instead, would be to, say, catch goblins in cage traps, then build the cages in the way of your waterfall(temporarily stopped via floodgate), then release then such they can't get out while marksdwarves shoot them up. After they're dead and the ground bloody, open the floodgate and you should get a bloody waterfall.

You can also use, say, weapon traps with giant axe blades - that should create a good bit of blood - and will probably want to put grates atop the fall to contain your goblins and their equiment. Not sure if they'd still produce blood or what, but it'll make salvage easier.

Anyway, that should work, but I've no idea how long the bloody water will last befor you have to reset it.</STRONG>

so regular sacrifices would be required. would it be possilbe to let him los into the waterfall and on a giant axe trap in it (say, in a grate chamber to avoid having to stop the waterfall.

goblin cages go here.

water/grate wall/floor/Giant axe trap/grate wall

Waterfall and on the side of it, an altar to armok.

a single dwarf renamed "Priest" to link up the cage, and "release" the goblin to keep the waterfall bloodied.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2007, 07:03:00 pm »

I would personaly build something like this:

code:

#^#^#  walls
^^^^^ ^ spikes hooked to a lever
#^#^# # grates
^^^^^
#^#^#

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2007, 08:07:00 pm »

Grates are not allowed to be placed when surrounded by open space. (grates do not provide enough support for additional grates to be built from it; also, constructed floors that have bridges and grates as it's only support will collapse)

[ November 28, 2007: Message edited by: Mechanoid ]

Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"