Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How To guide  (Read 453 times)

HaunterV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How To guide
« on: January 07, 2007, 03:40:00 am »

Umm Because I'm new I would really appreciate a beginners tutorial on things like:

- The easiest way to create a farm.
- Some advice for the best material to use for Support Pillars or Bridges.
- Whats a good starting build.
- Should I focus on digging a huge catacombs or just a few chambers for shelter?

Any advice is appreciated.

[ January 07, 2007: Message edited by: HaunterV ]

Ookpik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How To guide
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2007, 04:43:00 am »

The Dwarf Fortress wiki is the best place to go for general information.  Maximus is working on a general introduction to the game, a draft of which you can see here:
http://dwarf.lendemaindeveille.com/index.php/User:Maximus/DFNewbies

Here are two other pages you may find useful:
http://dwarf.lendemaindeveille.com/index.php/Surviving_Your_First_Winter  

http://dwarf.lendemaindeveille.com/index.php/Starting_build

If you've got any more specific questions after reading through those, just let us know.    :)

[ January 07, 2007: Message edited by: Ookpik ]

g+@@T@+

The intruder arose, casting off its black cloak.  "Behold, stunted jesters!  It is I, Scuro!"  A jagged scar marked the goblin's face from eye to chin, his greasy mane gray and wild, and about his neck was the broken silver amulet, strapped together by a leather band.

darknight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2007, 06:12:00 am »

Yes, do check out those things, they were a great help to me.

Tho I will add, do not pick "Play now" as a starting option. Its better to prepare carefully. That way you can pick a site you think you can handle, and stock up on things you might need, like extra food for somebody that hasnt gotten farming figured out yet. And stay away from warm locations (Elephants), and serene or terrifying locations (Unicorns with the first, and zombie and skeleton elephants with the second.). Those things are wicked! And stick with forested locations at first. This game is hard enough to learn at first, you dont need to be kneecapping yourself on top of that. Wait until you get the basics down pat, before trying the other stuff.

And assume right from the start, that your fortress WILL be destroyed somehow. And learn all you can from it while it lasts. And never ever take water for granted! LOL I've taught a lot of dwarves how to swim!

ho watches those that watch us???

Telok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2007, 02:42:00 pm »

Yep, and they swim like rocks.

I think I lost my first five forts just figuring out how to farm and control floodgates. I still make mistakes.

Currently I'm having aqueduct trouble, but I think that's mostly because 'ducts are still unfinished in coding. Z-axis stuff.