Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Most important factor  (Read 1396 times)

DuncanFrost

• Bay Watcher
  • Urban Legendary
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt account.
Re: Most important factor
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2008, 02:40:00 pm »

I like places where two major rivers meet, there's generally some interesting things there. I had a sort of small peninsula with two rivers meeting, one of which had a waterfall. Plus there was a shiny garden full of butterflies next to a little stream   :D .

I also like being next to the ocean.

Toady looses a roaring laughter, fell and terrible!
Toady has butchered a spammer!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2008, 03:03:00 pm »

quote:
I've also taken a liking to treeless maps recently, for some reason I just prefer importing it to cutting it.

We've got a situation! We've got a situation! Medic in sector four. We have a dwarf down, we have a dwarf down! Zombified by elves!

What is better than a fallen tree for a dwarf? Right. A burning tree   :).

[ March 01, 2008: Message edited by: Deon ]

▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

mrchinchin25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2008, 03:33:00 pm »

Dumb question but how do you tell if theres a chasm before you embark? (or what does the symbol look like?)

I'm bored of fending off sieges, need some excitement!

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2008, 03:54:00 pm »

dwarven prospector, it will be a white tile with a grey # look for it on utilities page on the wiki
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2008, 05:03:00 pm »

Running water, some interesting (read: dangerous) wildlife, and some mountain tiles preferably. A small section of aquifier is a decent subsitute if the map is cool enough.  Magma I honestly don't care- if I see some in a good spot, great, otherwise whatever.  I also never use Prospector- I like to be surprised.

My current fort's in a pretty neat spot- a thin mountain strip between two deserts.  It's got good, evil, and neutral, all at the highest levels of wildness.  Of course, being in a desert limits the wildlife variety- all I've seen are camels (one and two hump), a couple dark gnomes, and a giant eagle- which I managed to catch in the only cage trap I built.

HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

polpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2008, 12:31:00 am »

swarms of undead, magma, underground water, iron & flux & sand - everything else is optional ..... so where are the seeds of all these crazy locations that people are posting about?

this is what I am playing now:

seed:1640796797
this is a 4x6 - but can be a 4x5
It has a magma tube, cave river, chasm, tons of iron & flux, other metals, werewolves, ice wolves & musk ox herds, - no aquifer, no demons, no sand, no vegetation

Foul_Jester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2008, 01:00:00 am »

I like to play on frozen wasteland, scorching desert, or incredibly evil/undead maps, usually at about 3X3.  However, if the local map has all of its interesting features spread out I'll play any size that runs decently.
As you may be able to guess, I like to challenge my dwarves with inhospitable terrain types.
 seek the dying, the sick and deformed; all who would taint the species
stabbing and choking and burning and drowning exterminate subhuman feces

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2008, 01:01:00 am »

Actually, I prefer dicking around with my fort, so I look for a place with no aquifer, thick forests and shrubbery, a river (my dwarves need to drink after all) and, just for bears and such, untamed wilds.
Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2008, 02:30:00 am »

Hmmm mostly i chose a flat sandy location with Magma. But my last fort is an Valey with an river so i can create an Lake around my actual tower an clearglass project. I think this is my best choose of a site so far.

[ March 03, 2008: Message edited by: Heph ]

[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2008, 03:23:00 am »

So far, my favorite map has been a limestone canyon with a brook. Easy water source, only two natural entrances, and plentiful resources.

Haven't had magma yet, so I've had to rely on wood, but that doesn't bother me too much.

Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Scorpios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2008, 06:14:00 pm »

Water is a necessity as is sand and magma. It's really nice to have iron and flux too.

Right now I'm trying to find an undead/terrifying area with magma and an underground lake (That won't drain into a chasm). No such luck yet.

find that I identify forum goers more by their signatures than anything else.
That being said, I should probably think of something witty to put here.
Pages: 1 [2]