Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: So, world.dat files when Notepadified...  (Read 1081 times)

Silverwing235

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
So, world.dat files when Notepadified...
« on: November 30, 2020, 07:49:51 am »

....they seem to have some sort of attendant garbage character trail that screws my reading all to hell, and does not respond at all to special-character hiding. Plug-in?

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
Re: So, world.dat files when Notepadified...
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2020, 09:15:35 am »

Turn off save compression in init.txt (right at the bottom, just turn [COMPRESSED_SAVES:YES] to [COMPRESSED_SAVES:NO]).

If the world.dat now shows as world.sav, you should be able to open it with Notepad and read the raws of the world's procedurally generated materials, MBs, and interactions. A warning, though: the text there is disorganised as all hell, so reading it right from the file will be a pain in the rear.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2020, 09:20:43 am by Quantum Drop »
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.

Silverwing235

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2020, 10:55:07 am »

It's already off (LNP standard policy) Can confirm, nothing much doing - certainly no world.sav to be found.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2020, 11:28:48 am by Silverwing235 »

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2020, 12:20:36 pm »

Ah, it really is a pain to read even the uncompressed world.sav. I've been bothered by this before, so I made a Python script to put the raws into neat .txt files: https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=15321
Just make sure the save is uncompressed, and it should work.

Silverwing235

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2020, 03:27:54 pm »

A (hopefully) final notion, I'd thought... fresh install, new world, and then decompress? Could it be that simple?