Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [Structure] Fisherman's House  (Read 938 times)

Sky-Streamer

• Bay Watcher
  • You are filled with AN EXCESSIVE NUMBER OF BOLTS.
    • View Profile
[Structure] Fisherman's House
« on: November 10, 2020, 11:07:23 pm »

These would be small structures created by Dwarves and Humans in Warm and Temperate coastlines. They are often somewhat close to a town, the distance ranging from three to seven days. When found, a single dwarf will be there, as well as a pack animal and a small chest full prepared fish. The structure has a small wooden dock, a building with two rooms (dining and bed), and either a basement located at the back of the structure of a storage shed located near it. The basement will hold bins and valuables; the shed will hold basic iron tools. Both of these will be locked, requiring you to break it down, pick the lock or ask/"ask" the fisherman for a key.

Occupants:
Fisherdwarf/Man
Rideable Animal

Loot:
Prepared Fish
Unprepared Fish
Furniture
(Basement) Bins, Gems
(Storage Shed) Iron Tools, xIron Toolsx

Dangers:
Oceanside Wildlife
Fisherdwarf/Animal
i told you about those stairs man
i TOLD you DOG

Nordlicht

• Bay Watcher
  • Wuschelig & Wunderlich
    • View Profile
Re: [Structure] Fisherman's House
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2020, 03:49:37 pm »

Sorry for not adding anything useful, but this sounds like a Minecraft suggestion to me, and I'm not sure why.

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
  • Enclave here, why isn't your video feed working?
    • View Profile
    • [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Ylvdlc5.jpg[/IMG]
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2020, 12:12:58 am »

Why Minecraft? Just because it has a sort of "structure" system too? lol

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2020, 02:47:00 pm »

Maybe because of the chest full of fish, the pack animal (donkey/alpaca), and the iron tools of various durabilities.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2020, 02:50:10 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Nordlicht

• Bay Watcher
  • Wuschelig & Wunderlich
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2020, 03:36:50 pm »

Maybe, the whole post just feels like a minecraft suggestion. I can't really put my finger on it. It also seems like I've successfully derailed it. Sorry.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2020, 05:37:29 pm »

Well, it's way too specific for a Dwarf Fortress suggestion with it's fixed loot and magical dwarf resident operating outside of the world's simulated populous. Apart from that, yeah, buildings built by professionals to do their jobs seems like a good idea. Hunting lodge, fisherman's hut, cheesemaker's cave, etc.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2020, 01:20:57 am »

The reason this suggestion feels off is because Dwarf Fortress doesn't hardcode stuff in the way this suggestion wants.

There's already fisherdwarves and while their day to day activities aren't like, proceduralized to a strong degree, it's certainly more complex than "you can find a house with a dwarf in it".

Like, if you walk around a human city in adventure mode right now you can kind of see the outlines of how complex the world already is, and it's not hardcoded like a D&D encounter.

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
  • Enclave here, why isn't your video feed working?
    • View Profile
    • [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Ylvdlc5.jpg[/IMG]
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2020, 02:36:29 am »

Well I'm of the belief this would be an Adventure mode style site you'd be able to visit. With this update such things have been added in lieu of Monasteries, Castles (not hamlet or city ones, Castles that are in the middle of the wilderness), Forts (general Forts, not settlement ones in which Dwarves live in. These structures also exist in the wilderness), Tombs, Labyrinths, and Lairs... This suggestion isn't out the feasibility for DF.. random world-gen structures not related to a Civ have been in the game for ages- generally these sites were presumably made to liven up Adventure Mode more... As a matter fact OP's suggestion exists in the game to some degree because you can find camps by random people who are either refugees or people who just live in the wilderness.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2020, 06:01:38 am by Lidku »

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2020, 04:08:43 am »

Arguably a bit gamey, but not a bad idea in principle. The worldgen economy, as I recall, makes sure there are farms producing the plants, but there isn't any analog structure for the fish being caught. Maybe it is because there aren't any boats yet, so ports etc. don't exist, but RL humans have been fishing before that using spears and rods. Heck, fisherdwarves have already made it into Fortress Mode.

The notion of fisher's huts could be a way of integrating fishers into the economy, if the economy rewrite comes along before the boats do.