Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: curse the carriers  (Read 622 times)

Wood Gnome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
curse the carriers
« on: January 01, 2007, 05:46:00 am »

just needed to vent a bit - my dwarves worked very hard to produce fine crafts to trade for much-needed food.  when the caravan came it was LOADED with tasty morsels and i cleaned them out.  the mood was efervescent. just before the merchants left for their home all the food i had traded for (still sitting in the depot) spoiled and raised a stink.  rats.  i really need to devote someone just to carrying food i guess.
cause of unexplainable mischief

Wood Gnome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: curse the carriers
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2007, 02:51:00 pm »

no good, i have dedicated food carriers, but the depot still reeks of rot from yet another pile of food that no-one would carry away.  what's the deal?!?!?!  is there something i should be doing to guarantee that food gets carried away to safety?
cause of unexplainable mischief

Duckker

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2007, 04:26:00 pm »

Once food starts to rot it's refuse. Also, the trade depot sometimes seems to hog some stuff no-one bother to carry off. A workaround involves demolishing the depot. And making stockpiles on top of the goods on the ground and ordering them to be moved somewhere.

Also, if an object is on the bottom of someones "to do"-list, no one else bothers with it. So if you have miners who have "haul food" enabled doing something else, the food might tasked to them, even if they are never going to take it anywhere.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2007, 06:05:00 pm »

My suggestion would be to just trade for a little bit of food at a time.

As long as the caravan isn't about to pull out, there's no real need to buy everything all at once. That way, your dwarves should be able to keep up with the hauling orders.

While the humans own the food, it won't rot (wish they'd share that trick with the dwarves,) so you should use that to your advantage.

scjohnno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2007, 10:32:00 pm »

I think it'd be good if food just didn't rot at all while in a Trade Depot.

Maximus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2007, 02:17:00 am »

Hmm, I agree.  It's not like food stockpiles have any special structure, they're just places where food is preserved.  Food in a trade depot ought to be similarly preserved.  Otherwise you have to micromanage pretty hard to keep the food from rotting if you buy out the caravan.

qwip

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2007, 03:36:00 pm »

I think Toady said that the Trade Depot does not create all the traded good haul tasks at once because he's worried that the fortress might grind to a halt after the traders leave.

If you want all the haul orders to be issued at once to the queue, destroy the Trade Depot.

qwip

Efficiency is intelligent laziness