Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: DF crashes when trying to make a new world  (Read 1003 times)

madpathmoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
DF crashes when trying to make a new world
« on: October 14, 2020, 09:32:20 pm »

It seems to repeatedly crash while trying to "finalize tissue templates"; I've only modded two things, a creature and their entity, so it must be one of those things.

Spoiler: creature (click to show/hide)
I wanted to try making a humanoid with an exoskeleton that wasn't an animal person.  I also figured I'd also try experimenting with secretions and syndromes, so I'm not surprised if I messed something up there.

Spoiler: entity (click to show/hide)

Entity stuff seems pretty straightforward so I don't think anything I did with this is broken but, I still appreciate a look-over.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: DF crashes when trying to make a new world
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2020, 01:50:46 am »

Coral is not a valid tissue, even though it's a valid material, and you also forgot to tell it what FAT and MUSCLE are supposed to be. I would insert;

[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:FAT:FAT_TEMPLATE]
   [USE_TISSUE_TEMPLATE:FAT:FAT_TEMPLATE]
   [USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:MUSCLE:MUSCLE_TEMPLATE]
   [USE_TISSUE_TEMPLATE:MUSCLE:MUSCLE_TEMPLATE]
   [TISSUE:CORAL]
      [TISSUE_NAME:coral:coral]
      [TISSUE_MATERIAL:CORAL:NO_SUBTYPE]
      [STRUCTURAL]
      [CONNECTIVE_TISSUE_ANCHOR]
      [RELATIVE_THICKNESS:2]
      [HEALING_RATE:1000]
      [VASCULAR:3]
      [PAIN_RECEPTORS:50]
      [CONNECTS]
      [TISSUE_SHAPE:LAYER]
      [SETTABLE]
      [SPLINTABLE]

Immediately before the [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:EXOSKELETON_TISSUE_LAYERS:CORAL:FAT:MUSCLE] line. The game then has enough information to figure out what CORAL, FAT, and MUSCLE should each refer to in this creature
Settings for coral tissue taken from the bone tissue template, because coral and bone arent totally dissimilar.

Checking this creature in arena mode with my changes, there are still errors associated with various organs' tissues and materials, and a couple other spelling/ID errors. So you'll have to add the organ tissues and materials same way I added the muscle tissue and material up there. It's asking for HEART, BRAIN, GUT, LIVER, STOMACH, PANCREAS, SPLEEN, KIDNEY, LUNG and EYE. I would add them right after the coral tissue definition. The other errors are;

PHEANS:Unrecognized Creature Variation: STANDARD_SWIMING_GAITS
PHEANS:Unrecognized Creature Token: NO_PAIN
PHEANS:Unrecognized Creature Token: PERSONLITY

Swiming gaits needs another M in there, NO_PAIN should be just NOPAIN, and PERSONLITY needs an A.

Oh, and with fat the game will want tallow, so you'll need to add that material too (theres no tissue for that)

Oh! Also, for the entity, you're going to want to add after the other values
   [VALUE:MERRIMENT:-10]
   [VALUE:LEISURE_TIME:-10]
There's a bug with fishing labors where if these social values are too high, they'll spend too much time fishing and their stockpiled fish numbers will climb until they crash the game. I've added this to every entity in my game and it's removed 90% of the random worldgen crashing
« Last Edit: October 15, 2020, 01:55:39 am by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

madpathmoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2020, 01:59:55 am »

Oh, this is very very helpful!  Thank you very much.  I didn't realize I needed to establish what the tissues were supposed to be first.  Thanks for even pointing out my spelling errors, and the heads up about the fishing labors.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2020, 02:38:08 am »

No worries/no problems. I make the same mistakes on a regular basis, just forgetting to add things the file needs and spelling mistakes. It's the first thing i check when troubleshooting something that didn't work
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2020, 03:02:38 am »

I actually made this exact mistake with coral before, so don't think twice about it.
I think it was for coral hooves on Kelpies.