Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Prepared meal is ruinning DF's economy  (Read 1062 times)

Snowmist

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Prepared meal is ruinning DF's economy
« on: August 03, 2024, 11:02:08 am »

Prepared meal is much more valuable than meat and plant, especially when there is a good cook in fortress.
I can just buy all the meat and plant with one or two barrels of prepared meal. After that, my cooks make much more high-quality prepared meals, which is later used to buy all the other things. It's no doubt that I can fill my fortress with gold and steel given that the traders come much enough.

Criperum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Prepared meal is ruinning DF's economy
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2024, 12:23:02 pm »

Yes

Wolfkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2024, 12:35:12 pm »

Fun fact! In older versions of the game, prepared meals were even more overpowered.

DPh Kraken

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN:she:her:herself][PRONOUN:it:its:itself]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2024, 12:58:42 am »

I agree, having seen it firsthand. This is one of a number of exploits that stay in the game because it's functional enough to have in place before deeper reworks replace the system. There's food your dwarves can put on the table, it works, there's plans in the roadmap for more involved cooking to flesh out cultures and taverns.
On the topic of food itself, food is hardly scarce in all modes. While I'd appreciate more tension in that aspect, right now DF errs on the side of the challenge being surmountable and auxilliary.
If you find this playstyle unfun, then you have no obligation to sell or even craft prepared meals. It's your fortress and you're in charge of the experience.
[CHEESE_PLANT] and [CHEESE_GRAPHICS] biggest fan
My mods:
Language & symbolsMiscellanyGraphics resourcesPseudo-ASCII

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2024, 11:31:35 am »

Hasnt it always been the case that a good cook or a good mason can easily mass produce enough rock tables to drown the fort in wealth?

It used to be that attacks on the fort scaled with wealth, which only brought more and larger attacks on the fort.  Wealth management used to be a semi-strategic thing to do on rougher starts
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2024, 01:28:13 am »

Creating wealth is easier than trivial. A single and his bone carver friend can can drown the fortress in masterwork bone crafts. On several occasions I was able to buy entire caravans with shell amulets.

Some sort of global economy system could fix the problem, but I can only imagine what kind of issues that would introduce.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2024, 05:38:28 am »

Creating wealth is easier than trivial. A single and his bone carver friend can can drown the fortress in masterwork bone crafts. On several occasions I was able to buy entire caravans with shell amulets.

Some sort of global economy system could fix the problem, but I can only imagine what kind of issues that would introduce.
the kicker to all this is the stuff being sent out physically does goes to places and potentially so mass producing junk a bunch might lead to a flood of the markets with those items.
though on a modding sense the trade system is already kinda wild with the merchant multipliers with goods that cost 1000+ and the expected profit value traders would seek pushing the sales to 100,000 or 10,000,000 if unlucky.
I do feel like making custom merchant civ mods that ask for high prices for goods that are luxurious and interesting is probably one way for folks who feel like trading is trivial to play.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes