Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Newbie Looking to Learn how to mod  (Read 1129 times)

wavves

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Newbie Looking to Learn how to mod
« on: October 13, 2020, 07:41:44 am »

So I'm new to Dwarf Fortress, very seasoned In modding other games such as Kenshi, Rimworld, Skyrim And Fallout.

I've been playing with Meph's tileset for awhile now and Ive been playing it with Meph's other mod Warlock Tower, However I really wanted to move over to 47.04 and It crashes on Worldgen after combining Mephs Warlocks with Meph's latest Tileset Launcher, Since I'm already planning a Dark elf mod, I thought updating Meph's Warlocks to 47.04 (For personal usage) would be good practice in learning how mods worked, I've already dissected raw files but since i'm not familiar with old dwarf fortress versions and what updates have been released since 44.12 I cannot for the life of me Decypher what is causing these crashes listed in my errorlog.txt

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Like I said, I do not know what could be causing these errors, therefore I do not understand the precautions to be took to fix them, help would be much appreciated. Thank you everyone. (I also hope me updating Meph's warlock mod for personal usage is not considered taboo here, Because I really do enjoy it that much, I would hate to play the updated version without it)

Fatace

• Bay Watcher
  • Cease hostilities? Never!
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie Looking to Learn how to mod
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2020, 08:22:05 pm »

Alot changed with 47.x, such as Dark Fortress civs cant have custom noble positions without conflicting crash issues. But if you took 2 mods and spliced them together (or if they were from the 44 version) Theres a very high chance that theres a alot of thats that no longer work or exsist, from that log it seems that word tokens were added or removed, as well as recipes being removed. DF modding is alot easier compared to skyrim n others, but it takes a decent while to get how it all works, specially with DF Wiki helping out.
I once had a 30 dwarf glacier fortress once.. was going great till the dwarf merchants brought along a WereKoala and killed everyone...

ChaosPotato

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2020, 01:50:15 am »

Alot changed with 47.x, such as Dark Fortress civs cant have custom noble positions without conflicting crash issues. But if you took 2 mods and spliced them together (or if they were from the 44 version) Theres a very high chance that theres a alot of thats that no longer work or exsist, from that log it seems that word tokens were added or removed, as well as recipes being removed. DF modding is alot easier compared to skyrim n others, but it takes a decent while to get how it all works, specially with DF Wiki helping out.
I have a dark fortress civ with 2 custom noble positions and I've only had 1 crash which might not have been related to the civ at all.
hi I hate this account and everything I've ever done with it but I don't feel like going through the process of making a new one right now

wavves

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2020, 11:06:29 am »

Thank you for this information, Would this count as Custom nobles then? https://i.gyazo.com/667957108deb1e8fb901304c9430ecc2.png Screenshot of Nobles added with Meph's Warlocks.
Essentially I'm suffering from- Worldgen Crashes during history Generation ( Can sometimes makes it to around 190 Years ) I'm lucky enough to have a medium world with a Warlock Fortress but I have a consistent crash.
https://gyazo.com/9bf8029e08524aff66fcaf050d504071 here is a gif of the Crash, every time I pan too far to the right I get an instant crash. This is 1 day into the fortress, I have not placed any workshops down and have only began to carve that entrance hall.

Fatace

• Bay Watcher
  • Cease hostilities? Never!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2020, 01:22:04 pm »

I have a dark fortress civ with 2 custom noble positions and I've only had 1 crash which might not have been related to the civ at all.

The position crash is sometimes after World Gen, its basically, when the "Lord" or Demon wants a new position and creates it and it conflicts with a custom noble in any way, it crashes, so it could occure on  Year 0 World gen, or past that, into the 100+, or even while your playing Fortress/Adventure Mode :/
I once had a 30 dwarf glacier fortress once.. was going great till the dwarf merchants brought along a WereKoala and killed everyone...

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2020, 02:54:41 pm »

Does the demon create any site-level nobles or only civ level? If its all civ level, you could still create standard site noble positions to make a fort playable
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2020, 03:35:25 pm »

(I also hope me updating Meph's warlock mod for personal usage is not considered taboo here, Because I really do enjoy it that much, I would hate to play the updated version without it)
How dare you!

Just kidding, everything I write is open source and can be used freely, both personal and in other published mods. :)

How is the Warlock mod fairing? I never had time to play a long test fort with it.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::