Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Militia commander personality  (Read 2087 times)

Kobold6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Militia commander personality
« on: August 21, 2020, 02:37:17 pm »

In my 7 dwarf fort with my 3 person squads, I notice a phenomena where often one dwarf will sometimes train a lot less than the other two dwarfs, usually the militia commander.

Does personality affect how the commander chooses who will train?

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Militia commander personality
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2020, 02:58:17 pm »

Its more the individual effort of the dwarf soldiers, if they aren't enthusiastic about it they'll grind quite slowly.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2020, 08:17:07 pm »

A new sq is Inactive, by default, so those three soldiers will perform Individual Training, from what I read. Indie Training varies based on job skillsets, hauling and some traits, like Activity and Martial.

Turn the squad Active, and reorder its monthly Train Order, from 10, to an odd number, put #1 soldier(mil comm) always in it, so his Teach skill will go up faster.

Active is only way to get duels.

Commander does not choose who trains, we do, by puting a T on a wpn or armor rack. If they have no job, no haul, they will indie train. They will prioritize training over jobs and hauling, when active.
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Kobold6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2020, 02:17:59 am »

Commander does not choose who trains, we do, by puting a T on a wpn or armor rack. If they have no job, no haul, they will indie train. They will prioritize training over jobs and hauling, when active.
I set the squad to have 2 active dwarfs so that they spar and get some appropriate down-time.
My observation seems to be that sometimes the militia commander will neglect to choose himself for training as often as the others.
... but
Its more the individual effort of the dwarf soldiers, if they aren't enthusiastic about it they'll grind quite slowly.
Says otherwise.

I even tried mixing up the militia commander amongst the squad before with effecting more balanced training. But that's a statistical sample of one.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2020, 07:59:52 pm »

I've noticed that less experienced and otherwise novice soldiers will only do individual training to start, regardless of available partners.  The best way to ensure sparring is having an even number of Dorfs in your squad, and setting 'training minimum = 2'.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2020, 09:54:03 am »

I've noticed that less experienced and otherwise novice soldiers will only do individual training to start, regardless of available partners.  The best way to ensure sparring is having an even number of Dorfs in your squad, and setting 'training minimum = 2'.

You'll need to set up multiple orders of that or you'll get only 2 dwarves actively training at a time.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 09:55:50 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2020, 02:28:16 pm »

You'll need to set up multiple orders of that or you'll get only 2 dwarves actively training at a time.
Correct.  Each sub-set of the orders requires the conditions to be set every time.  Fortunately you only need to do this once, and can copy-paste to other months.