Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Strange mood being strange?  (Read 3233 times)

Pseudo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Strange mood being strange?
« on: December 10, 2015, 10:05:33 am »

This is 0.42.2.

A carpenter got possessed. Claimed a carpenter's workshop. Grabbed a single log. Took it to said workshop. Said he began a mysterious construction. Thus far, "normal". (Well, aside from the single item, but meh.) Here's where it gets weird.

He then walked 5 steps out of the workshop. And is now standing 5 steps out of said workshop, doing nothing. With 'q', workshop says "This building has been claimed by <name>", and nothing else. If I examine the building with 't', I see a log with TSK on it. If I 'v'iew him, it shows 'Strange Mood' and 'Possessed by unknown forces!'. Ditto in the 'j'obs screen. It's as though he thinks he's in the workshop working on the artifact, well, except for him, you know, not actually being in the workshop.

I managed to get showmood working on a copy of the save, and it says this:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Unfortunately, I wasn't there for him moving out of the workshop. About the only thing I can think of is that he got spooked by a coati and ran out of the workshop and never came back?

I'm currently running a copy of the save in the background seeing if he'll complete the artifact anyways or if he'll go insane. Either way would be weird.

EDIT: Yep, he's gone melancholy. Drat.

EDIT2: save
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 10:25:48 am by Pseudo »
The lady the dog the paper the boy writ hit bit knit.

English is weird.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
Re: Strange mood being strange?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2015, 10:29:49 am »

Did you forbid the material that the workshop is made out of?  Were there any hostile creatures near the workshop?

How close was the workshop to the tavern?  Maybe bar fights can cause weirdness.

Pseudo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2015, 10:45:19 am »

Did you forbid the material that the workshop is made out of?
Nope, just checked.
Were there any hostile creatures near the workshop?
...Huh. Just checked the combat log. Turns out my hunch of a coati was correct. Or at least he was involved in a fight with a coati after he went into the strange mood. He wasn't injured (he punched it in the neck and killed it). Probably the cause.
How close was the workshop to the tavern?  Maybe bar fights can cause weirdness.
Relatively close, but not in sight. Although I don't think I had a bar fight after said strange mood.
The lady the dog the paper the boy writ hit bit knit.

English is weird.

forumist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2020, 07:53:50 am »

I think I have a very similar issue with 0.47.04.

A miner got possessed, had claimed a mason workshop, gathered material and started a mysterious construction.

I was busy dealing with a siege and then some internal weremoose problems, so I had forgotten about this moody miner.

Then, I noticed him in a middle of a stairway, not moving. He stays there doing nothing, still "Possessed by unknown forces!". The workshop is still claimed, contains material used for the task.

I tried forbidding the material and reclaiming it. It is not indicated as "TSK" any more. The miner has not reacted.

I used "showmood" in DFHack, this is what is indicated:
Code: [Select]
[DFHack]# showmood
Bėmbul Uzolginet is currently possessed with intent to claim a Mason's Workshop and become a legendary Miner (but not really).
He has claimed a Mason's Workshop and wants the following items:
Item 1: rock boulder, quantity 3 (got 0)
Item 2: any bones, quantity 1 (got 0)
Item 3: metal bars, quantity 1 (got 0)
Item 4: any logs, quantity 1 (got 0)

(I did not try before messing with the tasked material, because I didn't know about showmood until finding the present thread.)

In the workshop, the bones got back a "TSK" label, but this didn't change what showmood displays. Now the "TSK" label is gone again. The miner still hasn't moved. Now "TSK" is back on the bones. I'm not sure what I do can influence this.

Ah, now the bones are not in the workshop any more, so maybe someone else took them.

I don't find this dwarf in the combat logs.

Curious bug.
Don't quote me on that.
Cacame channels aquifers into submission by staring at them. Cacame is so badass, kobolds give him their children to leave them alone. If Hidden Fun Stuff digs too far down, they hit Cacame. Cacame once took a Tantrum Spiral and impaled four enemies on it.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2020, 10:59:42 am »

It's known that having a strange mood interrupted results in a failed mood. I'd suggest checking the combat log to see if you can find the miner getting into some kind of fight or similar.

The items you've temporarily forbidden that then got TSK:ed again were tasked to be hauled away (or used in some other job).

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2020, 06:51:33 pm »

He probably got frightened and ran away from the weremoose or something, and has no task to return to the workshop, so he's stuck in limbo. If you destroy the workshop, he'll go berserk, but you can then get new moods again.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.