Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fighting Crime  (Read 1205 times)

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fighting Crime
« on: August 15, 2020, 01:45:17 pm »

Continuing from this thread, here's a crime-fighting approach that I haven't seen mentioned.

You can use repeated interviews to grind XP on your CotG for his four skills: flattery, intimidation, persuasion, and especially judge of intent. As new visitors arrive, look for those who seem the most suspicious. From what I've seen, all undead are criminals, because necromancers are usually the villains. And most criminals pose as visitors who would be drawn to taverns, such mercenaries or bards. It's especially easy to spot criminals if you close your tavern to visitors.

Use any open cases as excuses for your CotG to interview any visitors that might be criminals. If your CotG succeeds with his skill rolls, then the criminal will admit his false identity and confess to every crime that he has ever committed. After that, I'm pretty sure that he won't commit any more crimes, at least not until he leaves and returns.

ShinQuickMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Mook
    • View Profile
Re: Fighting Crime
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2020, 02:19:05 pm »

« Last Edit: August 15, 2020, 02:23:38 pm by ShinQuickMan »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2020, 03:03:52 am »

- I've had one experiment visitor who wasn't a villain (everyone else have been).
- Villains can claim to come to visit your library as a "scholar" (but never actually pretend to do anything scholarly), come pretending to be a regular visitor to your tavern, and pretend to be a performer visiting your tavern. Those are the ones I've seen. In addition to that, there should be a bunch of covers for villains that claim to come to visit your temples, but they don't do that with omni temples, it seems.
- Nothing except death will stop villains from continuing to commit crimes. While they may not commit another one on the current visit, they'll be back shortly after leaving.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2020, 12:15:44 pm »

Fairly interesting, i've yet to properly play with the interrogation screen, because my forts tend to be pretty quiet in regards to visitors but the skill grinding sounds like it can be very helpful in other aspects also for mayoral candidates or brokers. Its a shame the full intelligence system is unimplemented by Toady, because we know of all these plot actors but not how to dispose of their network links other than the obvious pillaging of necro towers and related settlements or on-site mysterious murders.

You may also find it good to take time to screen your migrants, perhaps assigning them to a burrow before they enter the fortress properly as a holding centre.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2020, 04:25:02 pm »

Screening migrants is good for vampire detection, but does nothing to protect you from Villains. If any Villain arrives as a migrant it's a bug: instead, the Villains just show up, say the right words, and your dorfs are flipped (they sometimes fail, but that doesn't even cause an alarm to be raised). There is no way to protect against flipping, except, theoretically, high power indoctrination to get everyone to respect the law (and Villains can just stumble on any of the other weakness avenues).