Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: The Mystery of the Mother of Algebra  (Read 2063 times)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Mystery of the Mother of Algebra
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2020, 02:24:37 am »

The data structures for hist figs include a list of books read, so I assume they never re-read books.

With a lot of works it ought to be possible to mold fortress dwarf personalities with books. The easiest way is probably to retire a fortress, make an adventurer who either writes or acquire "suitable" books, and then delivers them to the fortress, which is then unretired. You'd also make sure undesirable books are placed out of reach of the citizens.

A the whole fortress approach is to send out raids to acquire books located through other means (The Librarian or other DFHack scripts and Legends Mode info). However, the interface for targeting artifacts is extremely unwieldy, as it's just an unsorted list of names (I'd guess it's sorted on item id, which isn't of interest to players). If it would have been alphabetic it might just have been cumbersome.

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2020, 06:57:51 am »

I believe that I have observed a dwarf re-read a book in my dinky library with only two titles. However I was not making library-related notes so this is not scientifically documented; and if true the occasions would have been a year or two apart for a single one of my 13 dwarves. Whereas I couldn't keep the "new" book on the shelf, there was such a rush for it right after trading.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2020, 01:01:58 pm »

Sorting books.

dewey decimal system, 635 TARN, reality.

do we or don't we, the monkey flips the hammer bananer-TARN 630 ook ook ook ook ook, library dimension. b is a very big section
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.
Pages: 1 [2]