Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is it possible to use DFhack to civilize wild animal people passing by?  (Read 2464 times)

Jundavr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Several times in the past I've seen an interesting kind of animal people wandering around my fort and decided to mess around with its tags using gui/gm-editor. I've tried fiddling with many things, from AI type to civilization, but nothing relevant really happens.

Sometimes I get it to show up at my citizen list (sometimes only Dwarf Therapist picks it up), but can't change labors and such. I've tried making them visitors, citizens, etc. but it doesn't really work.

I have found one way to quickly civilize them using both DFhack and modding:
-mod [PET_EXOTIC] into that specific creature
-capture and train them
-hack them to be permanently tame
-save game, remove [PET_EXOTIC], load game
-wait for petition
-profit! more or less...

It's extremely fiddley, but it works just fine for my purpose of bringing civilization to these savages.

So for my question: does anyone know of an easier way to do this?
Perhaps by changing the right tags while it's roaming your territory?
Is it possible to write a script that immediately converts them to a fully functional citizen? Maybe creating a histfig from scratch is necessary for this, though.

Also, a branching question: what happens if a citizen is not a histfig? I assume everything would work normally, but it's hard to tell since every single thing in your fort is made a histfig, even the animals.
I was out in the rain. So exasperating!

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Beware of the large number of bugs surrounding "tame" sapient creatures. The only vanilla one is the Gremlin, but there's a lot of things that don't work properly.

To answer the question: I don't know how to do it, but it seems to require quite a lot of fiddling.

Jundavr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm aware of the many caveats of taming intelligent beings. Before removing the [PET_EXOTIC] tag I have to remove assigned trainers to not cause any weird followings. As soon as they petition for citizenship I put the training level back to the natural (9 WildUntamed).

I've had no problems with the animal people citizens acquired like this, and even managed to have an entire fort of elephant men once (my army was made exclusively of wrestlers and they destroyed everything they put their oversized hands on).

The only issues were with the tags that made them meander and steal items, those had to be removed. The first made them atrociously slow, while the second made them never let go of items they picked up and were marked for hauling. Remember that thread about kea men never letting go of mugs after drinking? Yeah...

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile

There's this script, used for visitors in the past but perhaps suitable for this purpose too.

Jundavr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That seems exactly like what I was looking for, I'll fire up a new fort and test it. Thanks!

Jundavr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I spent the night fiddling with the script to make it work for wild creatures (and wild creatures only, I didn't want the hassle to adapt it for different units).

The script kind of works as is: I can control animal people/gorlaks that show up in my fort, but Dwarf Therapist doesn't recognize them as citizens (I can't change their labors).
I can change the labors through DF's regular interface though. Maybe some crucial flags were left unedited? Why doesn't DT consider them as citizens while DF does?

I commented out a bunch of stuff simply because it wasn't working (I suck at this). The idea was to generate historical events similar to what happens during world generation.

I'm only dabbling in lua and didn't even bother to learn it before attempting this, so any input at all is welcome.

EDIT: I fixed most of it, everything works now. Except for the part that Dwarf Therapist doesn't recognize my illegally obtained units as citizens of my fort.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 08:00:53 pm by Jundavr »