Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Redesign Underworld A Bit  (Read 846 times)

rico6822

• Bay Watcher
  • Constantly fails to become elephant man.
    • View Profile
Redesign Underworld A Bit
« on: July 14, 2020, 09:59:07 am »

UNIQUE_DEMON creatures would always have a brain extract that allows teleporting below into the underworld by a specific portal once the portal is reached. The specific portal is the same one of the spire that the demon was summoned by. Below the portal there wouldn't be any slade constructs since it has to be explained somehow that demons don't enter the building. Instead there would be a 3x3 platform right below made of slade that shines purple just like the portal does. Standing in the middle of it and doing LSHIFT+5 will get you back. Oh yeah the portal itself outside the underworld also has 3x3 size.

You can also get the extract by ordering the demon to go away into underworld if you know he's name. He drops it only if you decide to mention it so if you consider embarking to underworld pointless or even immoral just so someone can get famous you can do that.

If you bend demon to your will and make him your companion you're gonna need him to use the portal.

Drinking the extract also grants the knowledge of the vault's location that contains slab with a name of a specific demon who was summoned.

The effect of the liquid is permanent. Drinking more than necessary has no effect other than satisfying thirst and preventing the others from having this power. You can also teleport to and out of underworld anything and anyone in the range of the portal.

I do also believe that after going through those vast open rooms the labirynth to the portal should be far more non-linear but only one path would lack traps.

Regular demons cannot teleport through portals at all in fact they will block transfering if they are at least 6 tiles close to it.

In the underworld there would be eerie fauna only capable of surviving in the underworld due to it's atmosphere. Demons have increased spawnrate near it so if you decide to plant it near the portal expect a surprise attack. Those plants won't survive for long outside the underworld for up to 9 hours. When alive they are capable of curing living beings out of sanity issues so you can actually save catatonic dwarves from starvation or melancholic ones from suicide stuff. Now you have a reason to visit the underworld but even more you have a reason to dig "too deep" since dark fortresses are usually generated pretty far from dwarf forts.

I do also believe that instead of spawning lots of demons upon digging "too deep" there should already be a lot of flying demons close to adamantine since adamantine should attract all demons. Now you have a reason to not have your world having too many runes when creating it.

I was also thinking of an idea of making water vaporize if it gets into the underworld due to the atmosphere being dangerous in there for it. Skin of most living creatures is capable of stopping the atmosphere from vaporizing water inside of them. This is all due to preventing one "stupid dwarf trick" from being too useful.
Does anybody know how to become an elephant man in adventure mode? I literally did all advanced world settings possible to increase chances.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: Redesign Underworld A Bit
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2020, 01:25:25 pm »

IIRC, the underworld is going to be procedurally generated after the Myths and Magic arc, so you'd get all sorts of variations. You might get an underworld filled with water and Clown-fish.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 01:31:10 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

rico6822

• Bay Watcher
  • Constantly fails to become elephant man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2020, 06:16:36 pm »

IIRC, the underworld is going to be procedurally generated after the Myths and Magic arc, so you'd get all sorts of variations. You might get an underworld filled with water and Clown-fish.

In that case I think native water of the underworld could be immune to vaporizing atmosphere.

I also wonder if demons should build slade constructions to reach adamantine runes and than they would worship them without trying to mine. It could allow non-flying demons to finally have justified reason to join in the invasion against you if you "dug too deep" as well as descending into underworld for the first time wouldn't cause awkward fall damage and need to create structures to return out of it. Therefore those structures main purpose would be literally just allowing non-fliers to worship adamantine normally.

Even if non-flying demons wouldn't exist for some reason I think fliers would like to worship adamantine without flying all the time as the sound of wings and need to focus on flying all the time is distracting.

The only way to have those constructions not generating would be having a generated world with no non-special demons. This can be achieved via advanced world settings. This makes accessing underworld via digging "too deep" harder by not having those constructions and easier by the lack of a demon assault. Not to mention that I think those demons would try to reclaim they're spot of worship so it's overall easier besides of constructs not being present.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 06:27:54 pm by rico6822 »
Does anybody know how to become an elephant man in adventure mode? I literally did all advanced world settings possible to increase chances.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2020, 04:23:24 pm »

Is there any talk of psionics in myth and magic?
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.