Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Marked out dance & performance areas.  (Read 633 times)

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Marked out dance & performance areas.
« on: July 07, 2020, 05:02:03 am »

I don't mean to be harsh, but i feel that some suggestions are over-complicated and actually hurt the feasibility of being added can actively drive Toady & Tarn away from implementing quick solutions build by build and instead commit them to a list of 'maybe's` and feature projects that have no short term benefit to players who might need relief from a particular game problem, since some suggestions are psuedo-bug reports to game design.

So ill keep my suggestion short and simple based off what I have learnt.

Dwarves love to occupy socialization spaces, but this doesn't actually help them with the pre-existing performances, and often leads to a lot of annoying micro management, such as paved floors being furniture legible to box dwarves in and other little dorf-player tricks, brought about by the needs to -

A) Dance where you want them to, rather than in random corners of the room which breaks things from a aesthetic/roleplay perspective like if you were going to dump rubbish acts under a retracting lava-bridge or really just a quiet inn with entertainment only in another room.

B) Keep a organized space away from the audience

A dance/performance zone accessed by (i) with some properties such as `cannot be idled upon` (without a combination of zones) put into the centre of a room would be the straightforward `psuedo-fix` for the occupation & locations system. Then a 10x10 hall can be drawn out and it doesn't detriment the players in taking up floorspace but still sees use.

Entirely miscallenous zone venues can be used by performers set to tour the entire fortress, and some more opportunities to use these based on context, such as the use of animals in circus-like double acts by using animal-trainers, or sparring for public entertainment when assigned to a barracks, where bored inactive squad-members may watch from the sidelines.