Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Adamantine Weapons  (Read 995 times)

Huggz

• Bay Watcher
  • Sherlock Wayne
    • View Profile
Adamantine Weapons
« on: April 01, 2010, 07:37:15 pm »

Adamantine weapons seem incredibly underpowered, I know there was  a topic about hammers because adamantine is so light but I had a bronze colossus with grand master in eveything attack a bunch of elves, and every one of them had more than 10 yellow wounds before they died. Is adamantine basically useless for weapons now?
Proper English will make people take you more serious.
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Re: Adamantine Weapons
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 07:44:37 pm »

Adamantine weapons seem incredibly underpowered, I know there was  a topic about hammers because adamantine is so light but I had a bronze colossus with grand master in eveything attack a bunch of elves, and every one of them had more than 10 yellow wounds before they died. Is adamantine basically useless for weapons now?
24 Grand Master Marksdwarves with full adamantine armor, bolts, and crossbow failed to kill 1 single Bronze Colossus in the arena. I'd say yes.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

phi2dao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 07:54:10 pm »

I'd say that this is less a problem with Adamantine and more a problem with Bronze Colossi.  They are almost completely invincible.  The only things I could find that would even damage one were magma and dragon fire.  And even with magma it walked around for a minute or so before it melted.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 08:01:29 pm »

I did some tests. Pitted a dwarf with an iron hammer, one with an adamantine one, and another with a steel one. Each one against a single unarmed dwarf. No dwarves had armour or any skills.

The steel one killed his opponent faster, the iron one was outsmarted by his unarmed foe and got strangled, so did the adamantine one, but the fight lasted for a long time.

I need to improve my testing methods, but I can clearly see that adamantine blunt weapons are much less useful now. Next I need to test how it works out on slashing and piercing weapons.

Also, does anyone know how to get a dwarf/elf/human/gobbo to use a ranged weapon properly? I give them the weapon and ammo, but they just drop the ammo and beat eachother to death with the weapon.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

tehstefan

• Bay Watcher
  • R.I.P Bro. You were too good for this place
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2010, 08:06:59 pm »

Uh, I can say adamantine is not useless. I pitted a grandmaster swordsdwarf against 5 dragons, and it won handily. Also was in full armor, but.
I suspect you've never tried doing many illegal things yet in your game. The second the CCS knows you're "active", they'll come down on you like the hammer of God.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2010, 08:15:47 pm »

Try an adamantine blunt weapon next time, it won't be nearly as useful.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

tehstefan

• Bay Watcher
  • R.I.P Bro. You were too good for this place
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2010, 08:16:50 pm »

Well, that's the point. If I smash someone with a lightweight object, that's not going to hurt nearly as much as if I hit them with something incredibly heavy!
I suspect you've never tried doing many illegal things yet in your game. The second the CCS knows you're "active", they'll come down on you like the hammer of God.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2010, 08:17:53 pm »

Copper warhammers are  :-X

Huggz

• Bay Watcher
  • Sherlock Wayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2010, 08:18:56 pm »

To clarify, the elves all had at least 10 yellow wounds while being attacked by the colossus before they died, they were naked and the colossus was in full adamantite with a longsword... I tried playing as the colossus and it was pathetic, it was like using a copper sword...
Proper English will make people take you more serious.
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.