Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stress test by leaving Fort afk  (Read 1863 times)

UselessMcMiner

• Bay Watcher
  • praise jeebus
    • View Profile
Stress test by leaving Fort afk
« on: September 28, 2020, 10:40:08 pm »

So I’ve just started a Fort, with 20 humans (I’ll explain why I used humans later) to test what would happen if I left a fort without interfering for as long as I possibly can. I used humans for this just so I wouldn’t have to worry about alcohol and strange moods. And I used the starting 7 and DFHACKed a bunch of children for them. Just because I was curious how much of a strain 13 children would be on the Fort. I locked everyone in starting autumn, which gave me enough time to set up really nice bedrooms and a dining room. Unfortunately the outpost liaison got trapped inside the Fort. No idea what the consequences of that will be. So far the forts been running a year without much issue. Will report with more info later
The scouts have been fighting a giant capuchin for the past month now. They still haven't killed it.

Obsidian 1053

The Sentries are still fighting the capuchin. For two monthes they have done nothing but punch this monkey.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
Re: Stress test by leaving Fort afk
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2020, 11:48:19 pm »

I thought this was a stress-test on your PC, not on the humans.

Are they eating plump helmets or a singular food source?

UselessMcMiner

• Bay Watcher
  • praise jeebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2020, 06:55:25 am »

Plump helmets And water, that’s it.
The scouts have been fighting a giant capuchin for the past month now. They still haven't killed it.

Obsidian 1053

The Sentries are still fighting the capuchin. For two monthes they have done nothing but punch this monkey.

UselessMcMiner

• Bay Watcher
  • praise jeebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2020, 12:36:53 pm »

So its been 2 years so far. A few more kids have been born. Nothings happened so far. Everything's mostly stable. Currently am a bit bored.

Obsidian 1053

UselessMcMiner

• Bay Watcher
  • praise jeebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2020, 02:39:03 pm »

alright its been 3 years now. Literally nothing has happened. I thought citizens being content with their lives with only a nice bedroom and dining room was fixed? This is ridiculous

Obsidian 1053

UselessMcMiner

• Bay Watcher
  • praise jeebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2020, 02:46:19 pm »

Fuck this, im gonna figure out a way to kill all my citizens. I'm bored as hell.

Obsidian 1053

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2020, 04:04:00 pm »

Strife is the stuff of life: A ballad in 4 parts
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

duckman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2020, 06:04:13 pm »

I think you misjudged how much socializing during idleness helps with stress. Everyone being at least grand master conversationalists at this point is probably the reason they don't have any serious issues.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2020, 06:14:31 pm »

I think you misjudged how much socializing during idleness helps with stress. Everyone being at least grand master conversationalists at this point is probably the reason they don't have any serious issues.

That's a good point.

We know that stopping bad thoughts is more important that getting good thoughts, so if everyone is satisfied with the basics and locked in away from any potential bad thoughts, you should be good.

I don't know what raw shuffling you did, but dwarves might be more upset after 3 years because of their values. Valuing crafting high can cause a couple bad thoughts over time.

NordicNooob

• Bay Watcher
  • *Not actually Nordic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2020, 03:07:18 pm »

Yeah, idleness is a fantastic stress booster. Even in a fairly hostile environment, socializing and the likes can keep a dwarf sane and happy barring extreme personality change. Even just a tavern and temple will go a long way as long as you aren't overworking your dwarves. I've come very close to 100% ecstatic in my long-term fort: barring new births coming out at normal stress when old dwarves die from age (or other causes, I won't say I don't make a lot of stupid mistakes), and one particularly annoying case of the medic having a crap personality and staying stuck at ~0 stress, everybody else climbed pretty quick to -100k. It's a bit of an extreme case since quality of life is pretty high in that fort and outside stressors are all but nonexistent, but its been enlightening on the power of having your citizens do nothing as a fortwide de-stressor.

I think a good portion of the current stress problem comes from people not understanding that they're overworking their citizens: some still believe in the extremely outdated advice of "keep your dwarves working always to keep them from getting friends and tantrum spiraling when they die." Not that there aren't issues with stress as it stands, of course.

TubaDragoness

• Bay Watcher
  • o3o
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2020, 03:17:07 pm »

Dwarves have a couple of civ-level morals that can cause more stress when they're idle: valuing martial prowess and the desire to craft (three, with alcohol dependency). But testing with humans first DOES prove that time isn't the only factor. Can you post whatever values your human civ has?

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2020, 04:56:59 pm »

Isn't this just a matter of waiting until their clothes rot off?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2020, 03:28:15 pm »

You could easily make semi-regular job orders that produce the necessities like clothes and keep most people idle most of the time.

It is indeed the needs to craft and fight that keep my dwarves stressed up. One problem is, one idiot will continue performing jobs indefinitely and nobody else will step in to fill their own need to craft. And the other, I don't want every squad on duty all year round, and rotating them out and making sure every dwarf fulfills their military related needs is a micromanagement nightmare.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2020, 03:45:05 pm »

Thanks for revealing this important flaw in the simulation. Seriously, does Toady expect us to believe we could leave group of 20 people locked in a windowless room for 4 years and not have a single murder on our hands?! Also, I don't know about you, but in my experience people who only talk to the same group of 4 -5 people tend to be terrible at conversation.

Boycott this broken game!!!1!