Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Clothing in uniforms: need satisfaction and wear replacement?  (Read 1403 times)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This is a pair of questions regarding uniform items:
- I know battle damaged armor is being replaced by dorfs, but when do they replace clothing assigned as uniform items, i.e. do they replace them when reaching a given wear level (assuming replacements are available) or will they wait until the items rot off their bodies?
- Will replacing clothing assigned as part of a uniform count toward satisfaction of the need to get new clothes?

As can be inferred by the questions, I'm really asking whether it's a useful strategy to specify a replace clothing uniform containing clothing items that do not clash with armor to strike a good balance between armor protection and dorf need satisfaction. The two alternatives would be the old replace clothing option from before the needs rewrite that only contains actual armor items, and over clothing where you can't control their access to clashing clothing items (killed gobbos are the same size as dorfs, so not producing the items with "over clothing" will just cause them to pick up the forbidden items from corpses and wear them until they rot off or another suitable corpse donor is found).

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
Re: Clothing in uniforms: need satisfaction and wear replacement?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2020, 02:02:36 pm »

- Will replacing clothing assigned as part of a uniform count toward satisfaction of the need to get new clothes?
They gain the "felt nnnnn after putting on a nnnn item" thoughts for the clothing items they put on as part of their military uniform (this should be observable by drafting a migrant when they arrive on the map, militarize them and activate their squad, and give them a non-armor military uniform with "replace clothing" and wait for them to equip it).
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2020, 03:18:32 am »

Thanks. Very useful to know.

Urist9876

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2020, 02:50:06 am »

It will not help to fill need for acquisition. It fills the need for being extravagant, when clothing is expensive enough.
Clothing will be replaced when worn and alternatives are available. Commander gets first replacements, last squad member in last squad gets them last.

Adding clothes to a replaces clothes uniform can have several advantages:
the potential good feeling for putting on a nice item,
protection of parts that armor do not cover (throat, face) when wearing  a cloak,
double layering in case of contaminants,
avoiding bad thoughts for being naked while changing armor.

Disadvantages are more clothing industry and more shuffling around with clothing, leaving less time for other activities.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2020, 03:56:35 am »

Unfortunately, over clothing is bugged, because socks and boots don't work well together (regardless of whether the socks are civilian or part of the uniform), and there might still be issues with caps and shoes.

Urist9876

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2020, 05:14:31 am »

Civilian clothes still mess with military uniforms. Shoes, mittens and caps are the worst.
On rare occasions were shoes were not available, I've seen dwarves wearing 2 socks and 2 metal boots. A rare sight indeed!
When assigning socks to a uniform, dwarves will only wear them on one foot. If you assign multiple socks or even 2 specific socks, dwarves will wear 2 socks on one foot and have no room left for armored boots. I didn't test if it makes them better at sneaking in other locations ;-)

So you either stuck with a uniform where not all slots are filled or with a uniform were not all parts are protected. Possibly you could work with two sets of uniforms, depending on risks.

As part of a schedule you can set if a dwarf takes of his uniform while not on duty. This could potentially help with getting acquisition needs filled.

A failed quantum dump (setup as regular qsp, but with no receiving stockpile) with a fairly large storage area for trinkets stored without bins can force your dwarves to start hauling them around. A trackstop can be controlled by a lever to stop it from dumping. DFhack has commands to operate a lever and to execute command at a specific time to synchronize with schedule.

All way too complex, divided over way too many menus of seemingly unrelated tasks (hauling needs to be enabled btw...). Micromanaging often easier: just kick someone out of the military for a few months when he's unhappy about his things.

KevinM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2020, 06:50:32 am »

I always set my dwarves up with cloaks as their one clothing item on top of the regular armor.  Usually with everyone set in some type of armored squad.   It allowed my dwarves to get the positive thought for the cloak, kept my clothing creation needs low, but still gave me worn cloaks to use to trade.

I was going to try setting the schedule to no-uniform once a year for each squad to change to clothes and attempt to get rings, but my fort just went under, so I'll try it out on my next one. 

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2020, 07:36:39 am »

The problem with switching between uniform and civilian clothing is that it takes forever for them to change. I've tried it on miners and wood cutters (where I remove the mining job and assign them to a squad), and they show up for training at about the time the month long training session ends, and it didn't really help to store military equipment in the barracks.

Urist9876

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2020, 09:25:39 am »

Changing uniform works quite well in very compact fortresses. Lots of other things work a bit better then too. I'd rather build fortresses like Keupo's (twitch streamer who makes beautiful large fortresses) but that would kill my fps and make dwarves unhappy as filling needs would take too much time.