Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sunlight dependency tag & behavior: Ents  (Read 945 times)

eurydike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Sunlight dependency tag & behavior: Ents
« on: June 08, 2020, 01:30:32 pm »

[Sunlight] as another food tag would enable Ents and other treefolk. I.e. photosythensis?
Probably would also require somekind of behavior and sunlight zone.

The suggestion is fairly straightforward so I think that does it for the post.
Any thoughts or ideas?
What other kind of different modes of sustenance can you think of?

PS.

On second thought I think this is a bad idea. Treefolk might work, but the concept conflicts too much with the actual trees in game. While the sunlight tag on it's own seems like a decent idea, if not using it for treefolk, it seems perhaps a bit useless or weird. It might be possible to make treefolk that are e.g. 1x1 tile or 1x2 or 1x3 tiles in the z direction, with additional "tree plumage" just for show, to make them look like actual trees, such that obstructed parts would be cropped. But the more I thought about this further, the more I started to feel like it's kind of a bad idea. But the post is already made, so too late. Additional mechanics related to survival and food acquisition seems like a decent topic, regardless.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2020, 01:53:13 pm by eurydike »

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sunlight dependency tag & behavior: Ents
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2020, 01:53:04 pm »

I would suggest creatures feeding on heat/cold, winds, darkness, rock and even metaphysical items (could law-eating demons be generated, eating the concept of Law by making a society less and less under the Law, or a music-eating creature eating the concept of music?).
"Just tell me about the bits with the forest-defending part, the sociopath part is pretty normal dwarf behavior."

Pillbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2020, 07:38:48 pm »

It seems like a fine suggestion for any plant creatures, of which there are a few already but I can't recall their names. Perhaps [PHOTOSYNTHETIC] would make more sense as a means of attaining energy.

Red Diamond

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2020, 06:53:47 am »

I would suggest creatures feeding on heat/cold, winds, darkness, rock and even metaphysical items (could law-eating demons be generated, eating the concept of Law by making a society less and less under the Law, or a music-eating creature eating the concept of music?).

Most likely given previous experience Toady One will only implement the mechanics for creatures he is interested in adding in.  That will likely constrain the types of food creatures will be able to eat.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2020, 04:14:33 am »

Creatures (especially significant ones like demons or titans) that consume or enhance the sphere-influence of their respective regions seem reasonable for the magic arc.  This is different from photosynthesis or rock-eating though.

Pillbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2020, 10:50:46 am »

Sun and Light are both spheres, it would make sense to me that a titan from the Light or Sun sphere would be photosynthetic.