Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Animals on Defense in Missions  (Read 582 times)

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Animals on Defense in Missions
« on: June 09, 2020, 02:30:38 am »

The forest retreat Diamondcoasts has lots of animals:
Giant Dingoes
Giant Cougars
Giant Chipmonks
Grizzly Bears
Horses
Unicorns
Giant Deer, and
Giant Black Bears.

I sent 30 dwarves there on a pillage mission. They killed several historical figures, which is normal on first contact with a site. They also fought and killed the grizzly bears. Just the grizzly bears.

In my previous 44.04 game, missions against elf sites was a major PITA because all their animals fought on defense. There was no way to send dwarves toe-to-toe against dozens of giant animals, so the solution was to steal all the livestock with raid missions before attacking with pillage missions. It was a simple plan in theory, but it became very tedious to dispose of dozens upon dozens of stolen animals.

The rules have changed. In my 47.04 game, the animals at elf sites haven't fought on defense---until now. So it becomes important to know when the animals will fight and when they won't. My theory is that the grizzly bears were the only ones to fight because they were the only war-trainable animals at the site. But I'm curious to know if others have experimented with missions and found more subtleties to the rule.

Edit: Another mission came back with confusing data. The dwarves had to fight a named giant dingo, a named yak bull, a named black bear, and an unnamed grizzly bear and horse. I guess I should be glad that they didn't have to fight the giant cougars.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 02:36:38 am by Leonidas »