Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Adding syndrome to plant causes hostility and a crash. Curious why.  (Read 598 times)

KevinM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I toy with very minor modifications, usually to my active fort (plant corrections, plant zone changes, and making dragons trainable if I ever get one in a cage) and wanted to play around with syndrome extracts.   Mostly copy/pasting the USE_MATERiAL_TEMPLATE:EXTRACT section to the EXTRACT_STILL_VIAL from Kobold bulbs as a learning experience to a dye plant I wasn't using and only changing the name.  What I didn't expect was all visitors to immediately go hostile and my game to crash in three ticks and no error log was created.  Is there a behavior that would cause the hostility?
I'm not sure about the crash either, but may try again when the guests leave.

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile
Re: Adding syndrome to plant causes hostility and a crash. Curious why.
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2020, 10:52:56 am »

Hard to tell without details - posting the raws in question would help with diagnosis.

From what you've described, I wonder if it's a raw duplication problem. When you copy raws, you should be sure to change the internal names of everything you copy: so, for instance, don't have two materials named PLANT_EXTRACT. Duplicate raws cause the game to do extremely weird buggy/crashy stuff.

On the other hand, it may be a problem with making changes to save file raws - but I have no experience with that, so I dunno.
Thob Goes to the Surface (Adventure Mode story, in progress)

KevinM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2020, 11:14:56 am »

It wasn't too much.  I've modified some other parts of plants in my save raws before, the biomes and in a few cases the structure/fruit behavior during experimentation.  Like copying parts of the quarry bush (plant to bag) for other leafy plants.
Here's pretty much what I did.  The crash is probably due to something else that I'd need to find, or could be due to the change.  The hostility is what confused me.  They weren't all stalkers and necromancers so magically becoming an evil biome didn't seem like it'd be a thing. 
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2020, 09:34:24 pm by KevinM »

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2020, 11:49:12 am »

If you added these raws to an existing world, that could definitely cause problems - whenever you add something new, you generally want to add it at the very end of its relevant list, otherwise all other items after it will likely stop working correctly. In this case, you inserted your extract near the beginning of the plant, so existing clothes will suddenly be dyed with Frozen Blade Rust and existing blade weed seeds will suddenly be made of emerald dye.

If you add your plant extract after the SEED definition, does the problem go away?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2020, 11:51:39 am by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

KevinM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2020, 08:59:27 pm »

Nope, same behavior, and same if I were to change a bit of Valley Herb (of which I already have several plants).   Not a big deal, since I'm kicking out my visitors anyway.  (I'm tired of them raising the combatants of an enemy army.  It's slightly amusing when they raise keas, but not so much trolls and giants).  I was just curious since I hadn't found a post on it and it seemed like it would have been something someone had come across many times before.

I'll try it again when all the visitors are gone and when I create a new world (making some reaction and entity changes for my next world anyway).