Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lava Land Bridge?  (Read 774 times)

hahahaHELP

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Lava Land Bridge?
« on: June 03, 2020, 10:03:37 pm »

Hi, hopefully this is in the right place- it's my first post on the forums, though I've been playing Dwarf Fortress off and on for 2ish years.

Has anyone had success using lava to make a land bridge to the extent it actually changes the world map? I couldn't find anything by googling around.

I've tried this twice but haven't been able to make it work. Both times I've used a volcano in an iceberg located on a coast. I had one working fort I lost the save to, that was actually on the coast. I lost the save right after I (kinda) figured out how to use pumps to make the lava move faster though an overly complicated tunnel/pipe system I had to keep it from evaporating. The second time was today, and  I just sent a bunch of miners to poke holes in a volcano. I didn't anticipate that snowstorm + lava= giant ledge. I know how to disable autopause, but not the zoom to location that goes with it so I ended up abandoning the fort to see what two weeks would change. When I reclaimed it the only difference was animal skeletons littering the lava slope. I just …extinguished... my second batch of miners and everyone's dead (a first for me!).

My og fort made a lot more sense w attempting a land bridge bc there was a peninsula that I could connect to for trading one water tile away (by the world map). Today's fort was just a land bridge to nothing (and p awkwardly positioned w the coast). In retrospect I have no idea why I choose an iceberg again...

TLDR: pls help me destroy the side of a volcano so it creates a new landmass

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Lava Land Bridge?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2020, 03:04:17 am »

I doubt you can change the world map in the sense of changing the base biome of world tiles. You ought to be able to bridge an ocean tile such that an adventurer can cross (without swimming).

Just by embarking on a ocean tile you make that tile passable to caravans, armies, etc. so if you have a single tile wide ocean embarking at the shore (within the ocean tile) you allow passage from one side of the ocean to the other. This can easily be seen when an embark location that didn't have a race as a neighbor gets one as a result of a bridging an ocean. Obviously, you can easily connect across a two tile gap by making one embark on each side.

Thus, actually making lava bridges is more a matter of enjoying yourself with some dwarven engineering than one of geo engineering.

hahahaHELP

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Lava Land Bridge?
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2020, 12:14:25 pm »

Thanks! I didn't know about that embark feature- it should make this a LOT easier.