Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Aquifers go dry?  (Read 2683 times)

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aquifers go dry?
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2020, 06:41:11 pm »

Light aquifers don't deplete. They just fill slowly.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2020, 09:30:28 pm »

Aquifers release water at the walls, so you can dig a chessboard pattern in the aquifer to increase water output.Next time...

I was thinking about this and while it would have obviously been better to do this from the start, I wondered if there were enough damp wall tiles to build a checkerboard pattern of walls/pillars to concentrate their output a bit and let it drop into a single square tile directly below where the well already was, hoping it might provide enough water to get the well back up.

Does that work?

Short answer yes.  So it's obviously better to concentrate it by NOT destroying a bunch of the tiles, but it's possible to salvage it so long as you still have damp walls.

Xinael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2020, 11:31:46 pm »

Yeah, I gather water from aquifers by digging long spidery tunnels into them to expose the maximum number of damp walls while removing the minimum number of tiles that could produce water.

I'm not sure if it's each tile that spawns water on a regular basis, or each exposed wall, so I went with the more conservative option and kept each tile adjacent to only one tunnel.

If you make the tunnels long enough, this makes a shitton of water. Light aquifers are great.
Pages: 1 [2]