Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: doesnt feel anything due to inebriation  (Read 1227 times)

tristankamp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
doesnt feel anything due to inebriation
« on: May 19, 2020, 04:44:32 pm »

i have a dwarf thats simply just wierd. she has had over 30 meetings with a noble, but doesnt feel anything any of the times. she doesnt even like drinking anymore. she is currently at 20k stress. I dont get it at all. what is going on?

https://imgur.com/QDVcJsh

NordicNooob

• Bay Watcher
  • *Not actually Nordic
    • View Profile
Re: doesnt feel anything due to inebriation
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2020, 04:49:22 pm »

Dwarves' reactions to events can be changed by their personalities, so yeah. Your dwarf in question looks absolutely dead: currently, personality change is busted and will often reduce dwarves to quivering balls of sadness because their personality changed from being in the rain two years ago.

Being in a constant state of internal rage alone is normally enough to chalk off a dwarf as a stress death, but this poor lass also has "cracks easily under pressure" so there's pretty much no way you'll save her: even just the unobtainable needs will probably drive her insane, even with proper therapy.

Oh right, and because of the internal rage thing, she'll probably go berserk.

tristankamp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2020, 05:12:17 pm »

I dont get it. she was fine for 8 years, then suddenly she cracked. Im going to miss her, she made almost all the furniture in the fort. Personality change is busted? does that mean this will happen to all of my dwarves???

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2020, 10:45:37 pm »

In my experience dwarf personalities edge toward extremes over time from the personality changes. So... it might happen to about half your dwarves, while the other half will be inexplicably cheerful no matter what.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2020, 08:31:38 am »

For full bonus from inebriation, there is a setting in raw/objects/creature_standard.txt [PERSONALITY:STRESS_VULNERABILITY:0:0:0], which fixes inebriation feelings boost. It slows down stress build up too, generally, but does not fixes it entirely either. Expect to put some haggard Dwarves into euthanasia still. With 0:0:0 the stressed Dwarves amount drops in fortress from 3-4 seasonally to 3-4 yearly and because of the slow down in stress build up, some could be recoverable by some extra social time (try disabling some hauling jobs on those Dwarves, stones are an issue at my embark for example).

In my experience dwarf personalities edge toward extremes over time from the personality changes. So... it might happen to about half your dwarves, while the other half will be inexplicably cheerful no matter what.

So, not all of them will die from stress? Still, it feels like they all are doomed.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 08:39:47 am by Sarmatian123 »

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2020, 09:22:20 am »

I dont get it. she was fine for 8 years, then suddenly she cracked. Im going to miss her, she made almost all the furniture in the fort. Personality change is busted? does that mean this will happen to all of my dwarves???
For those that have certain predispositions, it's been my experience that answer is yes.
Hence why I wrote a script in dfhack to adjust certain personality traits.
From my testing, if you adjust all of these, you will have a 100% guaranteed stress-free dwarf or dwarves.
If it were me, I would try and isolate the cause.  From looking at the personality screenshot of that dwarf in particular, I would say it's the constant rage and cracks easily under pressure that's causing the rise in stress.  There are certainly other potential causes too, but those stand out as being in the extreme ranges.

If you're not familiar with lua and/or dfhack, I'll try to make this as straightforward as possible.
install dfhack.
launch the game.
load your save
get to that screen you have the screenshot of, above, for the dwarf you want to adjust/fix.
then switch to the dfhack window.
type: lua
then type: unit=dfhack.gui.getSelectedUnit()
then type: unit.status.current_soul.personality.traits.STRESS_VULNERABILITY = 1
then type: unit.status.current_soul.personality.traits.ANXIETY_PROPENSITY = 1
then type: unit.status.current_soul.personality.traits.ANGER_PROPENSITY = 1
(while it's not typically stated, the expectation is, you press enter after typing each of those lines)

Then go back to df, and switch away from then back to that same thoughts and prefs window and note the changes.
Then you can use Dwarf Therapist to watch their stress drop day by day, after that.  If it doesn't work, adjust the following as well:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
when you're done adjusting, type: quit to leave the lua interpreter.