Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: why is this child mad?  (Read 853 times)

Llamarock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
why is this child mad?
« on: May 09, 2020, 04:54:25 am »

He has the indicator that his stress level is high. However, when I go to investigate turns out he is having a good ol' time yet his stress level is still high. It's been like this for some time, any idea why?

https://imgur.com/a/iY3tUs9
If life throws you lemons, it's not life it's an elf siege :v

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: why is this child mad?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2020, 07:41:46 am »

1. He's suffering from serious cave adaptation and doesn't like having to go outside and vomit.
2. There was an unexpected death 2 years ago and it had a rather profound effect on his personality and beliefs, and he's still resentful from dwelling upon the experience.
3. He's separated from somebody, possibly his family.

Given that he's yelled/cried on somebody in charge six times over the past season alone, I'd say he's been very stressed for a long time and is likely in the process of recovering - he won't get better instantly (like he would have in the pre-stress versions of DF), but it should happen eventually.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2020, 07:52:12 am »

It's one of the most serious problems with the current stress system: it doesn't really tell you why they're stressed.

Once dorfs get into the yelling/crying at someone in charge state (i.e. as soon as DF indicates any stress at all), that will occupy every second action they perform with the current DF version, according to what I've seen, and they'll continue with that routine until they either somehow gets cured despite spending half of their available time crying rather than seeing to neglected needs (not an issue in this case, though), or topple over into insanity. I'd expect personality to dictate whether they'll get into the crying routine or suffer in silence, though.

Llamarock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2020, 01:23:35 am »

1. He's suffering from serious cave adaptation and doesn't like having to go outside and vomit.
2. There was an unexpected death 2 years ago and it had a rather profound effect on his personality and beliefs, and he's still resentful from dwelling upon the experience.
3. He's separated from somebody, possibly his family.

Given that he's yelled/cried on somebody in charge six times over the past season alone, I'd say he's been very stressed for a long time and is likely in the process of recovering - he won't get better instantly (like he would have in the pre-stress versions of DF), but it should happen eventually.

woa thanks, Im not very experienced with the new stress system since I have just returned to df, thank you for time responding. I went ahead and rehabilitated him (meeting hall with awesome zoo, good meals and close to the tavern) did not respond too well at first but all of the sudden he went back to normal. Investigated again and it seems he used the experience as a lesson of some sort and his personality changed, as a result he no longer feels anything by watching someone die, perfect for militia captain!
If life throws you lemons, it's not life it's an elf siege :v