Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Dwarf Necromancer Citizens  (Read 6593 times)

AnarchCassius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Necromancer Citizens
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2020, 04:14:22 pm »

I've had
All visiting necros in my fortress were villains. Not only that, but one of them proceeded to slaughter everyone when I tried to exterminate a were visitor (helped by raising an ogre prisoner I'd just executed). When I exterminated the necro before tacking the were (before it turned, and after save scumming) I was "rewarded" with a loyalty cascade. Since then I just used DFHack "exterminate him" on all of those bugged villains and questers out after artifacts in my fortress (a lot of extermination, as the villains outnumbered the legitimate visitors).

We've only had one necromancer villain so far and his confessions yielded a lot useful information. He eventually went crazy and got himself killed. The faint ghouls have been incredibly helpful against the weres who are by far the biggest threat to the fort. One of them did turn out to be a villain, he's sitting in a cage indefinitely. Villains are super common generally but I haven't noticed that all night creatures all villains.

The only loyalty issue we've run into was a non-night creature Prophet who somehow got himself flagged as an enemy of the fort and caused panic in the temple level until we put him down. Didn't cause a cascade but I have no idea why it happened.

Recently though, the lack of positive thoughts have caused stresses and now has had a tantrum (nothing raised thankfully) and a depressive state while chained up, all the while going through reliving the death of another dwarf that slid into depression and had stopped eating.  For some reason, the Necrodwarf keeps complaining about family and friends but doesn't have any family (and as such can't be exiled) and won't socialize.  I'm thinking of tossing her into the bridged up section of my fort that has a vampire manager and see if doing nothing but staying in a generic temple branch, military training and doing nothing else helps. 

This just seems to be an issue generally. It's slowly driving all our dwarves insane. Not having friends and family doesn't prevent them from having the need. I remembered Kruggsmash's "autumn festival" from Honeystoker and set up an R&R burrow restricting them to the hospital, temple and tavern areas. After a day or two they start to socialize and do other things they tend to normally ignore to the detriment of their needs. If you leave it too long they get ansy to work again and they only increase relationships a bit, so I don't know if it will save them in the long run but it does generate more good thoughts and take care of needs detracting from their focus.

As far as chaining them up, I've had mixed results. For tantrumy dwarves it's safest but if they don't snap out of their funk they can be locked up indefinitely. I filled the cells with different art so they get a lot of good thoughts when locked up and it seems to help. ("Well, I'm locked up, but that sure is a well made rope") But now I've only gotten beatings assigned recently.

KevinM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2020, 10:13:25 pm »

I don't think dorfs can read slabs...

Why do you care what supposed professions migrants had? You're free to retrain them to whatever professions you need.

I'm probably just confused by the wiki about Necromancer slabs.  Never had a necromancer migrant before this session so had been trying to figure out them (unlike the vampires whom I wish would just go drink animal blood or barrels of blood even if I had to buy them, or at least have them stop killing off dwarves). 

Its a minor annoyance, especially since the prior worldgen was giving me legendary dwarves of all kinds during migrations.  I didn't last more than two dwarfyears though since I hadn't played since the last version release and had forgotten everything that keeps stresses from building too high.  So coming into the new world where nothing but herbalists and animal caretakers come in makes me wonder if something happened in Dwarven history that they all became aboveground nomads or something. 

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2020, 02:25:52 am »

In my current fort a necromancer migrant arrived with his non-necro wife. For the last ten years he has been a happy citizen, although not a very productive one since necro citizens suffer the same alcohol withdrawal penalties as vampires do. His wife also gave birth to a child at one point, to my (perhaps unwarranted) surprise.

Sadly, a short while ago his wife was killed in a battle and by freak coincidence was raised as intelligent undead by her husband. This seems to have officially ended their marriage status (now listed as Friends), but in their thoughts screens they still regard each other as Spouses.

Seeing an opportunity to do some Science I have now locked them into a honeymoon suite to see if they remarry or have any more children. I'm not very hopeful, but let's see.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?
Pages: 1 [2]