Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Roadmap?  (Read 1606 times)

thefinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Roadmap?
« on: May 07, 2020, 09:01:38 am »

I've been following df for quite a few years now...  but I don't read every single update or anything and I don't necessarily play every version even.

It would be very useful to see an actual roadmap somewhere. I kind of figured a couple of years back we'd be into the magic system by now or perhaps the redo of the inventory system, however now we're doing stuff I have never even heard of before. It must be just that I've missed a release note or something where graphics were a subject of what's coming up, but it would be good to have a roadmap somewhere of what the expected plan is at a glance.

This doesn't need to have timeframes - things will get done as they get done - but it would be nice to see what's scheduled to happen.

I'd certainly find it useful as a casual follower/player.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roadmap?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2020, 09:22:26 am »

Requiring money and worrying about the future, Toady signed a deal with Kitfox to release on Steam which caused a diversion to the roadmap. To release on Steam he figured graphics, a new UI, a tutorial and a bunch of bug fixes are needed (these were always planned, of course, but they got moved forwards). That's what's happening now. Other than that we're pretty much where we were a few years ago.

The Big Wait is coming (Mythgen, map rewrite, magic, etc). The pre Big Wait development is exactly as described on the development pages. We got part of the way through the villains additions (which proved a lot longer than anyone expected) before Toady had to call it and make good on his contract with Kitfox to get a Steam release out.

Once Steam is out, villains gets moving again and the other stuff described on the development page will come (Improved Sieges being the main one). That gets the game into a good fun, relatively stable place to step back for a year or 3 for the Big Wait. (With bug fixes for major crash bugs to be fixed during development this time - a nice new addition to the process).

The big post Mythgen arcs are planned to be
 - Law, society and politics and introducing Starting Scenarios.
 - Boats and moving fortress parts.
 - Economy (although bits of that are being introduced already).

I guess 5 or 6 years on each of those plus whatever else comes along.

(Development page: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/dev.html)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 09:24:52 am by Shonai_Dweller »

thefinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roadmap?
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2020, 09:38:26 am »

Requiring money and worrying about the future, Toady signed a deal with Kitfox to release on Steam which caused a diversion to the roadmap. To release on Steam he figured graphics, a new UI, a tutorial and a bunch of bug fixes are needed (these were always planned, of course, but they got moved forwards). That's what's happening now. Other than that we're pretty much where we were a few years ago.

The Big Wait is coming (Mythgen, map rewrite, magic, etc). The pre Big Wait development is exactly as described on the development pages. We got part of the way through the villains additions (which proved a lot longer than anyone expected) before Toady had to call it and make good on his contract with Kitfox to get a Steam release out.

Once Steam is out, villains gets moving again and the other stuff described on the development page will come (Improved Sieges being the main one). That gets the game into a good fun, relatively stable place to step back for a year or 3 for the Big Wait. (With bug fixes for major crash bugs to be fixed during development this time - a nice new addition to the process).

The big post Mythgen arcs are planned to be
 - Law, society and politics and introducing Starting Scenarios.
 - Boats and moving fortress parts.
 - Economy (although bits of that are being introduced already).

I guess 5 or 6 years on each of those plus whatever else comes along.

(Development page: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/dev.html)

Nice. I did read something about steam, but didn't realise it was going to be such a change.

Awesome post.