Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Building destroyers broken?  (Read 832 times)

Hiarhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Building destroyers broken?
« on: April 24, 2020, 09:43:45 am »

So I was trying to make a vampire by getting a troll to topple a statue, no big deal I've done it countless times before. Only it's not working now. The troll just stands there. I put in a wooden door, nothing. Then I realized I've got some FBs in the caverns that should be smashing down doors and hatches they have easy access to but they aren't. Just tried a workshop, no dice. There's plenty of room so I know it's not that bug where a building destroyer can't bust something it's right next to. Anyone else experiencing this?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: Building destroyers broken?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2020, 02:06:12 pm »

While I cant answer your question about BDs, it might be moot since said method no longer works for making vampires: since .47, one needs to worship the god to get cursed from toppling.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2020, 02:52:41 am »

I've certainly not had any problem with ogres, trolls, and horrible experiments failing to break down my doors. There is the long standing bug of building destroyers getting adjacent to the target and try to destroy it while constantly failing as it needs to be one tile further away, causing them to just stand there. Sometimes it's possible to lure them away using live bait (I'd recommend adopting cats).

Moeteru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2020, 08:50:54 am »

I've observed that problem quite a few times while attempting to trap forgotten beasts.
I had a flying FB living in one of my caverns for years, absolutely refusing to take the open path into my fortress.
In another case I had a pair of FBs, each standing between two doors (and more than 1 tile from each), but neither made any attempt to destroy the doors.
I also had a resident necromancer who toppled a statue during a tantrum and got cursed to be a werebeast. I built a little isolation ward for him, complete with furniture and workshops, and he never destroyed anything despite living there for years.
In an earlier game there was a FB made of fire which seemed to just get stuck in one spot, completely unable/unwilling to move until it was eventually killed by another FB. The same thing also happened to the clowns last time I tried to invade the circus.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2020, 11:46:01 am »

Fliers are notoriously buggy, and yes, critters can camp in place for no apparent reason, as well as refuse to go into the fortress.

Regardless, building destroyers aren't completely bugged out, but there's no reason to assume any of the bugs witnessed for years have been dealt with either.

Edit: Well, I've contained an FB who didn't care about my juicy bait door, but eventually managed to get it locked in an airlock with the door by locking and unlocking the door to block/create a path into the fortress. The critter paces back and forth, but doesn't care about the door, regardless of whether it's locked or unlocked. I used DFHack to check the raws for it, and it is set to be a building destroyer type 2, as it should be, but apparently it doesn't know that.
I had another FB that ignored another bait door, although that might be explained by juicier live targets to chase (actually I had two, but both were eventually killed by cavern critters [I think, but I can't see the whole cavern]). I also had an undead cave ogre (slayer of one of the FBs) who just stood about 10 tiles from the bait door doing nothing until I provided a path into the fortress, at which it lumbered towards it, getting caught in a cage trap before reaching it. I thought undead building destroyers would retain that ability.
Thus, it does seem something has been broken, at least partially.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 05:26:58 pm by PatrikLundell »