Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Damp Stone all down 20 z-levels  (Read 2965 times)

BlueKanary

• Bay Watcher
  • *Chirp Chirp*
    • View Profile
Damp Stone all down 20 z-levels
« on: April 26, 2020, 02:30:14 pm »

I embarked near a light aquifer but not on top of it, however I have tons of damp soil, sand, and stone. over 20 z-levels below the surface. I can't tell if its seeping through or something but my entire ramp is covered in 1/7 water. Anybody know what this is or anything I can do about it?

Strangething

• Bay Watcher
  • Slizardman
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Re: Damp Stone all down 20 z-levels
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2020, 02:48:49 pm »

I encountered the same thing when I punched through an aquifer. I think the water pouring down from above makes the stone below instantly damp.

After a few z-levels I took a chance and branched out sideways. No flooding.

I think two z-levels are all you need to get past the aquifer.

BlueKanary

• Bay Watcher
  • *Chirp Chirp*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2020, 02:53:59 pm »

Alright then, Do wood walls stop the aquifer? It's slow enough that I have plenty of time to do whatever I need to do.

Gigaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2020, 02:55:22 pm »

Alright then, Do wood walls stop the aquifer? It's slow enough that I have plenty of time to do whatever I need to do.

With stone layers it's even easier - smoothing the walls stops the aquifer.

BlueKanary

• Bay Watcher
  • *Chirp Chirp*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2020, 03:06:30 pm »

Ah, well its mostly in sand and soil for me, but good to know!

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2020, 05:10:52 pm »

Aquifers appear in soil (but not "real" clay) at depth of 3 or more. They also appear in a few kinds or rock (check the wiki). However, DF's pre embark info about aquifers is bugged in several ways, showing aquifers where there are none due to soil erosion, and claiming there are none when they're present for about half the world tile (the SW half).

Any constructed walls block aquifers, and aquifers do not leak diagonally (but if you dig out the diagonal the empty space leaks diagonally).

Ramps, however, suffer from leaking from the ceiling from the aquifer at the level above, so you'd have to build around that if you're set on providing a wagon path down below the aquifer.

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2020, 03:24:39 am »

I bet you need ramp for rails. So why not just channel out the aquifer? Smooth stone or construct walls on edges. Then build ram and luxurious 3x3 staircase. I always do 3x3 staircase. I prefer my minecarts moved on wheelbarrows. :)