Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is aquifer flow seasonal?  (Read 888 times)

DwarfDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Is aquifer flow seasonal?
« on: April 22, 2020, 08:19:04 pm »

In my most recent embark I thought I had picked a spot with no aquifer, but had a number of soil layers that were wet and slowly leaked water after digging them out. I ended up digging down fast and walling off the sides of my central shaft. I also used a small, 3 tile deep hole that I had dug as a water source for my hospital.

However, a few years later I had a medical emergency and the whole thing dried up from use. I got through it, and ended up assuming that it wasn't an aquifer at all, something different.

Then, most recently, I enlarged that hole into a proper reservoir so it would never run dry, and set up some gates which were plumbed to a river to fill it. However, soon after I dug it out, spring came (or maybe summer, I could be misremembering) and it started filling on its own!

So, that's all go me wondering - are aquifers seasonal? Or did I hit some other, seasonal flowing soil?

Thanks for the help!

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: Is aquifer flow seasonal?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2020, 12:34:38 am »

Aquifers aren't seasonal, but there is a "Wet Season" that will fill rivers and murky pools faster with rain.

The new light aquifers definitely can dry out in too large room.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2020, 03:21:30 am »

Is the water in your reservoir stagnant or fresh?
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

DwarfDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2020, 12:22:44 pm »

Is the water in your reservoir stagnant or fresh?

Its fresh

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2020, 10:10:20 pm »

I’ve noticed the light aquifer tag won’t pop up when you’re choosing an embark until you move around and resize the area a bit. That’s probably what happened here. Luckily all you need to do is either avoid digging those squares or smooth them over if you dig into the aquifer. Smooth stone prevents light aquifers from flowing out.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2020, 11:25:53 pm »

I’ve noticed the light aquifer tag won’t pop up when you’re choosing an embark until you move around and resize the area a bit. That’s probably what happened here. Luckily all you need to do is either avoid digging those squares or smooth them over if you dig into the aquifer. Smooth stone prevents light aquifers from flowing out.

It's based on biome. Need to use F1, F2, etc. if you have multiple biomes in the selected area.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?