Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Aquifer questions  (Read 657 times)

andrei901

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Aquifer questions
« on: April 24, 2020, 05:36:06 pm »

I think the wiki might be a bit out of date.

Anyway, I've got a four z level light aquifer, and I've walled it off. 2 z levels have constructed wood walls, and two have smoothed stone.

So why do I always seem to have 1/7 water on all the aquifer levels, as well as the level below it? It's like a slow trickle into my fort. This is the second fort it's happened. Do aquifer seep up through floors now?

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aquifer questions
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2020, 05:49:18 pm »

No, but an aquifer ceiling above can drip water.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

andrei901

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2020, 05:53:58 pm »

So is it possible to do a ramp through an aquifer at all? Do I have to dig out all aquifer levels are replace them with blocks?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2020, 06:33:41 pm »

You can also dig downstairs into floors instead, though you definitely have to reconstruct walls if those are leaking below.

andrei901

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2020, 07:07:30 pm »

Not trying to put anything in the top 10 z levels. Need ramps for trader wagons.

I'm gonna re-purpose this into a shooting gallery for my future marksdwarves. Got a big 4z level slice going down 1 over 3, that's at least 12 tiles worth of free shots to soften up any assault before they even get close to the fortress gate.

I might even have a drawbridge feed in from the side, so I can have my foreign legion (non-dwarf military, no sun sickness) flank.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2020, 07:50:09 pm »

Adding a constructed floor (or wall) to the aquifer level stops it dripping down to the next level. But, probably best to start major digging on the second level down after the aquifer.

Of course, sometimes that's your first cavern layer. Ha ha. Makes for fun thinking on the spot embarks anyway.

andrei901

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2020, 08:22:35 pm »

Hey, here's a fun addition.

https://i.imgur.com/6J8nHuV.jpg

This is the top level of the aquifer. No aquifer above. I'm channeling everything right of the second layer of channels. Like I said, down one, over 3. Three more levels below. I've got an extra space dug out, and I've got walls all around. I've had those walls for a while. At least before my last post/update above. Been working on this since within minutes of posting the entire thread.

See that [1/7] water two tiles left of my X cursor? How'd it get there? No aquifer above. Constructed walls all around.

Hence why I wonder if it can seep through the floor.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2020, 10:34:46 pm »

Hey, here's a fun addition.

https://i.imgur.com/6J8nHuV.jpg

This is the top level of the aquifer. No aquifer above. I'm channeling everything right of the second layer of channels. Like I said, down one, over 3. Three more levels below. I've got an extra space dug out, and I've got walls all around. I've had those walls for a while. At least before my last post/update above. Been working on this since within minutes of posting the entire thread.

See that [1/7] water two tiles left of my X cursor? How'd it get there? No aquifer above. Constructed walls all around.

Hence why I wonder if it can seep through the floor.
Might be water left over from while the wall was being constructed that hasn't evaporated yet. Watch it a while, see if it grows?

Also, aquifers can be pretty weird shapes, are you absolutely sure there's no aquifer tile above this square?

Playing with light aquifers for a while now and never seen any leak upwards from the floor yet (and I've sat and observerd a lot of suspicious pools, just to make sure).
« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 10:38:51 pm by Shonai_Dweller »