Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Why did humans declare war on me?  (Read 1242 times)

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Why did humans declare war on me?
« on: May 02, 2020, 09:03:01 am »

I was trading with them two years ago, then they didn't show up last year, and this year, about when their caravan would usually show up, they instead attacked me.  Also they had a "Yak Cow Recruit" in their ranks.  Wtf?  I could probably find out in Legends what happened, but is there some in-game thing in the civ menu where I could find out exactly why they did this dumb thing?

Also other weirdness in this particular fort is elves showing up with things made of "grown tetrahedrite."  Also wtf?

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: Why did humans declare war on me?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2020, 09:57:16 am »

Did you steal anything from the caravan 2 years ago? Even if they lose items or people from an accident (like a hostile attacked a wagon when you weren't looking or something), you're liable for all the damages.

As for the grown rock, that sounds like it might be a mod issue, if you have any installed.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2020, 10:11:28 am »

Did you steal anything from the caravan 2 years ago? Even if they lose items or people from an accident (like a hostile attacked a wagon when you weren't looking or something), you're liable for all the damages.

As for the grown rock, that sounds like it might be a mod issue, if you have any installed.

Nothing other than some quality of life dfhack, although that is in alpha. 

And absolutely nothing untoward occurred during the last normal trading session two years ago.  That's why I think it has to be something from the outside world.

It's weird because I've had forts where I deliberately antagonized other civilizations (mostly elves) by doing every possible thing to piss them off (like murdering their diplomat or just slaughtering their trade caravans by having the trade depot also be a drowning chamber or just letting them go insane and die in there) (oh and also agreeing to a tree chopping limit and then deliberately just chopping down every tree on the map), and never ended up with them declaring war on me.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2020, 11:00:41 am »

"Grown rock" is a known DF bug, reported on the tracker (#0010118, #0010544, #0009275).

Urist9876

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2020, 02:28:39 am »

The world outside your fortress doesn't stop. It is possible humans and dwarves got into war without you doing anything. If something like that happened you might able to see if there were any attacks between dwarves and humans prior to the attack on your fortress.

In adventure mode you would hear about in in the tavern: "We are at war with The Two Legged Cows. There was a dispute over the treatment of animals". However with the switch to the raid system, we lost the ability to see detailed reports about what travellers share.

With a lot of luck, the creation of art with as subject that human society could tell you a little more.