Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: help. how to make targetted agression: gorilla pretenders attack eachother  (Read 1177 times)

joostheger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hi all,

Is there a way to make creatures attack a specific creature and caste, or somehow be more agressive towards them?

I want my gorilla creature having multiple male castes. the first is 'dominated', the second is 'pretenders' and the third is 'king'
I want Kings and pretenders to fight eachother, and becomine 'dominated' when defeated. I know I can do a lot with interactions and syndromes, but the targetted agression I cant figure out how to do it.

joostheger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

No one?
alright, here's what I got so far

- Interactions making the other hostile? wont work. Interactions are not activated on a regular basis, and Usage_hint leaving empy only seems to work in combat
- making them oposed_to_life: attacking anyone: little to much
- making them vermin + verminhunters: wont be able to select as embark-animal. probably wont work at all, probably because they dont hunt their own species.
- using a synrome to make them vermin and verminhunters: seems to work at first, but then there not attacking eachother.

So next up: working with personalities. making them as agressive as possible, but still no idea how to only target eachother. Or at least eachother.

coalboat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I admit I felt amused when I read the title. I thought it was about making dwarfs pretend they are gorillas but the dwarfs ending up attacking each other in a gorilla way...

joostheger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

yeah. wel.. thats a way to look at it. :-D
Anyway, got them tantrumming! thats a step
Now they're complaining, being to injured to fist fight. probably have to give them a attack they can use

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game

I did something similar with an earlier version of my Tarkatans.  (Males would attack each other.)

The trick is to use GREETING interactions and the CE_ERRATIC_BEHAVIOR tag, combined with VIOLENT personality modifiers (CE_ERRATIC_BEHAVIOR is the tag that makes violent drunks prone to starting brawls).  I gave them a "challenge" GREETING interaction that could only target the specific caste (perhaps "looks the other gorilla in the eyes") and causes the target to behave erratically and gain more aggressive personality traits.  This will make them likely to start brawls when they are standing around in the same room.  Be warned that they will not necessarily attack the actual challenger, they will just attack anyone around.  Also keep in mind that this will result in a lot of injuries and broken bones (which is the reason I removed it).  You can make gorilla bones not require splints to make these injuries less permanent.

You can even give the king gorillas a "pacify" GREETING ability that makes the pacified target temporarily unable to be challenged so they are less likely to fight when he is around.

The "dominated" syndrome can be a self-targeting FLEEING interaction.

To ascend to "king", perhaps two linked interactions, the first one enables the ability to use the second after a certain period of time, the second one is a self-targeting GREETING applying the actual "king" syndrome, but neither can be used if the user is "dominated".  (This means that the "dominated" effect should last longer than the time between these two interactions.)  You can even make the initial interaction triggered by the challenge interaction.  A gorilla will become king if they are challenged, but do not flee from any fight within this period of time.  Or perhaps make things more interesting and the initial interaction could be triggered by a female gorilla, so the competition will only happen if there are females around?

I would make all effects temporary, maybe lasting a year or so, this would allow gorillas to rise and fall from their positions over time.

Because interactions tend to be very unreliable, there is no simple way to do this perfectly, but it should work in a vaguely-defined way provided the time spans are long enough.

I would also advise against using castes, since transformations tend to be weird (only one transformation at a time, and transformation causes full healing).  All of these effects can be done through syndromes that add interactions.

joostheger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Thank you, for this great answer! It helped me very much.

As you mentioned, the GREETING-interaction is most suited for this situation. It's not very reliable, but it seems to work at least every 3 days: often enought.
I tried to increase their social personality traits, so they would greet eachother more often, but that doesn't seem to work. Maybe I can try the social skills, if this has any impact.
Anyway, the rate of greeting is good enought for me.

I did find a way to make them attack eachother: by using MATERIAL_EMISSION. The way they provoke, is to throw a rock. :-D Well, this definitly does makes them fighting eachother.

however, the fights are a little to violent, so I have to figure out to make it less lethal. Thats up next.

About castes: yes thats not a very handy tool to use in this case. The syndrome-system offers more functionality.

About these Tarkatans, is this a mod you've made? where can I find it?

joostheger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Its going very nice so far! I've used an material_emission greeting as trigger for a fight, and it works well.
Now important thing missing, is when a creature flees, the attacker has to accept its defeat. Can I somehow make the loser submit, and end the conflict?
I know I can use the fleeing-interaction, but i dont know what to attach to it.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Just give it a natural self-targeting "submit" interaction to be triggered when fleeing.  You cannot force a conflict to end prematurely, but possibly a creature will attempt to flee before it loses a brawl.  I'm not sure.
If this doesn't work, you can try adding it as a syndrome connected to the tears, which are secreted during EXTREME_EMOTION, or the blood, which will cause them to submit if they are wounded.  This can have weird effects though, since the attacker may also be affected if they are spattered with the blood of their opponent.

The Tarkatans are part of the Fortal Kombat mod.

joostheger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

already have that. creatures fleeing become 'humiliated', by a self targetting flee-interaction.
But it doesnt end the fight, because it has no futher effect to it.
Now, my wounded creatures are lying on the ground,helpless, being pummeled by their attackers.

maybe I can tinker the attackers personallities to let them be, when fleeing.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Usually brawl-level fights will end when one of the fighters is incapacitated (either unconscious or giving into pain).  Maybe you can reduce their willpower so they get knocked out easier.

joostheger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

the humiliated creature now can release a 'pacifyer'-gas, doing some stuff.
i have added a very quick CE_UNCONSCIOUSNESS, but to no effect.

here some things I tried

[INORGANIC:PACIFYING_GAS]
   [USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:CREATURE_GAS_TEMPLATE]
      [STATE_NAME:ALL_SOLID:frozen pacifying gas]
      [STATE_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:frozen pacifying gas]
      [STATE_NAME:LIQUID:liquid pacifying gas]
      [STATE_ADJ:LIQUID:liquid pacifying gas]
      [STATE_NAME:GAS:pacifying gas]
      [STATE_ADJ:GAS:pacifying gas]
      [SYNDROME]
         [SYN_NAME:pacifying gas]
         [SYN_AFFECTED_CREATURE:HAIRYONE:MALE]
         [SYN_INHALED]
         [SYN_NO_HOSPITAL]
         [CE_DISPLAY_NAME:NAME:pacified:pacified:NA:START:0:END:100:ABRUPT]
         [CE_FEEL_EMOTION:EMOTION:CARING:SEV:100:PROB:100:START:0:END:100:ABRUPT]
         [CE_FEEL_EMOTION:EMOTION:SYMPATHY:SEV:100:PROB:100:START:0:END:100:ABRUPT]
         [CE_FEEL_EMOTION:EMOTION:EMPATHY:SEV:100:PROB:100:START:0:END:100:ABRUPT]
         CE_ADD_TAG:CRAZED:START:0:END:5:ABRUPT
         CE_UNCONSCIOUSNESS:SEV:250:PROB:100:START:0:END:20:ABRUPT
         CE_ERRATIC_BEHAVIOR:SEV:250:PROB:100:START:20:END:21:ABRUPT
         CE_SPEED_CHANGE:SPEED_PERC:1:SEV:250:PROB:100:START:0:END:20:ABRUPT
         CE_FEEL_EMOTION:EMOTION:FEAR:SEV:250:PROB:100:START:20:END:25:ABRUPT
         [CE_IMPAIR_FUNCTION:SEV:1000:BP:BY_TYPE:GRASP:ALL:PROB:100:START:0:END:100:ABRUPT]
         [CE_IMPAIR_FUNCTION:SEV:1000:BP:BY_TYPE:BITE:ALL:PROB:100:START:0:END:100:ABRUPT]
         [CE_IMPAIR_FUNCTION:SEV:1000:BP:BY_TYPE:STANCE:ALL:PROB:100:START:0:END:100:ABRUPT]

joostheger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

to be clear: the attacking creature are under the influcence of the gas, so this far it's working.
maybe making them benign or something.
or making them both zombies for a short time.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Applying the syndrome with an interaction directly is a lot more reliable than using a gas.

joostheger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I know, but a fleeing creature will target only himself. It has to apply when combat is over, but the attacker doesn't see it that way.